• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A1 Floor Replacement

Sbblake

Recently purchased a M101A1 trailer to tow behind my 1946 Dodge Power Wagon. Paid to much for the trailer ($1300) but have not been able to find one close enough (Beaumont, TX) where shipping put the total price out of reach ($1800-$2500 with shipping). Preferred the M101A1 as the tires and BUDD rims match my power wagon. Now that I have bought one I expect 2 or 3 to pop up next door... Murphy's Law...

Upon further inspection of the trailer there is rot on the horizontal cross member that is located directly in front of the wheel well and there is a liberal amount of corrosion on the front panel where it meets the bed (all other cross members and trailer frame members appear to be in good condition). I suspect that the floor will need to be replaced. Recently quoted $450 to get the trailer completely sandblasted to see what I am up against.

Would appreciate members input on the following:
1) Is the sandblasting cost of $450 reasonable for South East Texas area? Seems high to where I have done sandblasting work before (Alberta, Canada).
2) Has anyone replaced the entire floor? If so what did you replace it with and estimated material cost?
3) I am considering replacing the front fixed panel with a tailgate. I found a new tailgate for approx$150 (including shipping). Has anyone attempted this upgrade?
4) If I am going to replace the floor I was also considering taking 1.5" out of each wheel well. This would give me 48" between wheel wells allowing for full sheet of plywood to be loaded into the bed. Have any members made this change?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Regards,

Scott

20180318_121115.jpg20180318_121147.jpg20180318_121736.jpg20180318_121856.jpg20180318_122040.jpg20180318_122306.jpg

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you go to the expense of sandblasting, I would consider replacing the bed, if not the whole frame. If your not taking the bed completely off, then sandblasting, your wasting your time. That whole cross member is probably rotten & your going to be chasing rot forever. You do have some good stuff on the trailer though. The 101's were close enough together, that you can mix & match many of the parts. If you give yourself .10 cents/hr for labor, plus the sand blasting charge, you can get another trailer for parts & maybe sell what you don't need, when your done.

I have an early 101 with similar wood bows. With a little elbow grease, you can undo those top cross pieces & do a 180 on them, giving them new life.

DeadParrot

Might check out 98G's ad in the Parts for Sale forum. For less then your $450 sandblasting quote, you could have a near new bed for a 105A2. Don't think is is a direct bolt up but much easier to mod something that has fresh metal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks