• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A1 hub/bearing help

warwick

i got a m101a1 from govliq... finally got around to packing the bearings and hubs w/ fresh grease today... there was no seal or silicone and hardly any grease... mostly just rust.

anyway the inner bearing is rusted to the spindle. i can't get to the lock ring and i cant get the bearing to move.

any thoughts on how to get the hub off?

McGuyver

So are you saying that the inner race of the bearing is seized onto the spindle? Here's a little trick I've tried before when I had a situation like this. Take a die grinder and cut the bearing race until it's almost cut through to the spindle underneath. Then take a chisel and wack it in the cut until is splits. From there, it will either spring open enough to get it of the spindle, or you can peel it off. Hope this helps. Good luck.

edit: I just reread your post, and it sounds like you haven't even been able to get the hub off yet. Is this right? If that's the case, then what I just detailed above won't help you any. Maybe you could some how cut the lock ring off first and then work on removing the inner race of the bearing, as I described. It may also be easier to work on all this if you remove the brake drum from the hub first.... just a though. Good luck!

warwick

... should have been more clear on what i have

the hub and drum are still on the spindle and the inner bearing is rusted to the spindle

if the hub was like a m715 hub i could get the hub/drum off by persuading the seal out with a BFH and/or crowbar

but the m101a1 hub has a lock ring to keep the seal and inner bearing in

round two monday afternoon...

McGuyver

Gotcha. Yeah I forgot about the snap ring. I see what you mean, that is a problem. You know, maybe you could remove the drum (two slotted screws retain the drum on the hub), then pry the hub off (with much persuasion.) You'll probably ruin the bearing in the process, tearing the cage apart and scattering the rollers everywhere at the same time. But once you get the hub off, you could use the method I outlined previously to remove the inner race from the spindle.
There is some hazard in this approach though: you could damage the snap ring or hub casting in the process of prying the hub off. Just be aware of the risk.

warwick

got the hub/drum off today... i bolted a length of chain to the hub and used a pipe as a handle... i yanked on the chain 6-7 times and the rust let go

hope the other side is in better shape

McGuyver

So did the bearing inner race come out with it, or did you tear the bearing apart in the process? Glad to hear you're making some progress.

warwick

got the bearing and race off with out destroying them, however they are pretty trashed from not having any grease. I'm going to replace them all, checking prices and availability now.

devilman96

Guys with Warwick's help I was able to track down the seals and bearings which I am now listing in the store... Thanks for numbers!!

EDIT: No longer a valid link

Last edited by a moderator:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NOW you have the 105 stuff! Well, next time I know where to go!

devilman96

Hey if you need it and I dont have it please ASK especally if its a high wear /PM type item!!! ... This is how I usually end up adding most of my new stuff to the store. Sometimes it takes days... others it takes MONTHS!!!... But I will usually go chase stuff down for the simple reason of I know its needed...

Not to mention... It motovates my lazy butt!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to warwick as I had the same problem. The hub has 2 nice 3/8 coarse unused bolt holes. I threaded a bolt through a double linked chain on both ends to make a pulling handle. Used a rock bar and pried it off easypeazy.

Replacement inner hub seal in civy numbers is a C/R or SKF 28116 or a National 417485 to replace nsn 5330-00-154-8353 part # 55010
The original one was a trostel 356-252-75

The outer hub plate 6 bolt gasket is a felpro 4390 , OE Chrysler # 915565

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks