• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m101a1 question bout year of trailer

TheVanillaGorilla

I am goig to look probably buy a '57 model 101. I know they dont have brakes but does anything about the year change the trailer compared to a newer model? should i spend extra 3-500 more for a a2-3? thanks

Baradium

The biggest difference you'll find is that the newer trailers use standard 8 lug while the older ones use a large 5 lug unless they've been converted (I've seen a couple older trailers mounted on newer chassis by the military).

The bed is also smaller if you go old enough, I believe it's 6 vs 8 ft for the bed length.

KsM715

101-a1 = 5 lug wheels and hand brakes only. A2= more common 8lug wheels and a surge brake system. A3= same 8lug wheels, same surge brakes, wider wheel track, wider gap between wheelwells and higher ground clearance under axle. (raised center section)

If you can get a spare wheel and tire and you dont intend to haul heavy loads that would require brakes on the trailer the A1 is a good little trailer.

Tanner

M101 - parking brake handles parallel to front bed wall panel.
M101A1 - parking brake handles perpendicular to front bed wall panel

M101A2 - 8-bolt single piece rims
M101A3 - HMMWV 8-bolt multi-piece rim

Tanner

TheVanillaGorilla

I went to check the trailer out today it actually looked a lot better than the pics made it look it had 0 rust and one dent on top of one of the side rails bout the size of a peach. He was asking 500 got him to 300 but wanted to pay 250. I made the offer he said to call him tomorrow. We shall see I may just pay the 300 and move on.

harleyhouse

$300.00 is ok for a good trailer.
You can't buy a Lowes trailer cheaper. and a $300.00 Harbor freight trailer is junk!
for the $200.00 saved you could buy a new matching axle.

My M101A2 was $500.00 from a private owner. It was changed over to 12 volt.
I did spend $150.00 in gas and food to pick it up in Ohio.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks