• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m101a1 question bout year of trailer

TheVanillaGorilla

I am goig to look probably buy a '57 model 101. I know they dont have brakes but does anything about the year change the trailer compared to a newer model? should i spend extra 3-500 more for a a2-3? thanks

Baradium

The biggest difference you'll find is that the newer trailers use standard 8 lug while the older ones use a large 5 lug unless they've been converted (I've seen a couple older trailers mounted on newer chassis by the military).

The bed is also smaller if you go old enough, I believe it's 6 vs 8 ft for the bed length.

KsM715

101-a1 = 5 lug wheels and hand brakes only. A2= more common 8lug wheels and a surge brake system. A3= same 8lug wheels, same surge brakes, wider wheel track, wider gap between wheelwells and higher ground clearance under axle. (raised center section)

If you can get a spare wheel and tire and you dont intend to haul heavy loads that would require brakes on the trailer the A1 is a good little trailer.

Tanner

M101 - parking brake handles parallel to front bed wall panel.
M101A1 - parking brake handles perpendicular to front bed wall panel

M101A2 - 8-bolt single piece rims
M101A3 - HMMWV 8-bolt multi-piece rim

Tanner

TheVanillaGorilla

I went to check the trailer out today it actually looked a lot better than the pics made it look it had 0 rust and one dent on top of one of the side rails bout the size of a peach. He was asking 500 got him to 300 but wanted to pay 250. I made the offer he said to call him tomorrow. We shall see I may just pay the 300 and move on.

harleyhouse

$300.00 is ok for a good trailer.
You can't buy a Lowes trailer cheaper. and a $300.00 Harbor freight trailer is junk!
for the $200.00 saved you could buy a new matching axle.

My M101A2 was $500.00 from a private owner. It was changed over to 12 volt.
I did spend $150.00 in gas and food to pick it up in Ohio.

Attachments