• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A1 Standard 3500lb Axle Swap

derf

A buddy of mine gave me a tired old M101A1 trailer. At one time it had a generator on it. To suit my needs it needed to be lower and preferably lighter. I'm pulling with a Toyota Tacoma. The big 5 lug wheels, brakes, axle, and generator accouterments had to go. We had some spare Jeep wheels around so I got an axle with 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern hubs. I mounted the axle above the springs instead of under. I had to remove two of the seven spring leaves or get longer (more expensive and hard to find) U bolts. I also lost the shock absorbers The bolts in the front of the chassis were replaced with removable pins to allow the rig to tilt. The axle used had a 65" hub face width that fit just right. I got the axle conversion parts off the shelf at a local trailer parts house. I installed a Harbor Freight swing away tongue jack with a wheel. Cost of the conversion was about $200, not including wheels and tires. The lighting was already changed to 12V bulbs and 4 pin flat connector before I got it. We had some extra recessed D rings around the shop so I installed five, three in the front and two in the back. I also cut a hawser hole in the front and lined it with part of an old U bolt to be able to winch things up into the bed. The front of the winch hooks on the bolt that formerly held the front leg of the trailer.

Attachments

derf

Right now it is just a lever operated Dayton "Come-A-Long" type winch.
I thought about adding an ATV winch.
Since I lowered the trailer, the front foot would be to long. So, I removed it. The bolt that used to hold the foot makes a good hook point for the Dayton winch.

BSH

So you kept the lunette eye, but took the landing leg off? How'd you do that? I like it, and this might be a good solution for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks