• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A1 Tire Question...

co_rotorhead

Anyone know what the speed rating is for the Superlug 9x19LT? I just towed the trailer home (80 miles) at 65 mph on a 80 degree day with no problems - both tires and wheels felt cool and did not seem to heat up at all on the trip. Thanks!

CGarbee

Specialty Tires of America
STA Super Lug M/S

Size 9.00 X 16
Load Range D,8 Ply rating (4 ply nylon side wall, 4 ply nylon tread)
Tubeless
Product Code LT28E
Tread Depth 21/32
Section Width 10.38
Rim 6.50
Overall Dia 36.3
Maximum Load 2665 (D), 3030 (S) at max inflation of 50psi
Weight 58lbs

Tube Type
Product Code LT286
Same specifications as the above according to STA.

The lowest current speed rating for a passenger/light truck tire that is DOT certified for highway use is Q (not always marked on a tire since it is the default rating) and is 99mph. If the rating is not published by the manufacturer (as is the case when looking at STA's website, you can either look on the inside sidewall for the speed rating (ranging from A1 at 3mph to (Y) for 186+ mph).

I'm at a conference and do not have access to my TRA Yearbooks, when I get home, I can give you the breakdown of minimum speed ratings by use class...

Brent13

I just got tires yesterday, LT286 Super Lugs, new tubes also. I asked a few tire people, and most suggested keep them under 65MPH. Others on this site claim to tow at 75MPH without issues. I plan on towing at up to 70MPH when conditions allow.

Brent

co_rotorhead

Thanks for the info! Got the same data from STA but could not find the speed rating. 65 or 70 would really be about as fast as I would go anyway.