• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A1 vs M116A2 - Need Some Help!

herrickd

I have the opportunity to purchase either a M101A1 in great condition with top bows and cover and everything else included or a M116A2 in good condition too with sides (not flatbed) and tailgate. What should I do? They are both in about the same price range, but I don't know which to purchase. I have a 1995 Hummer HMCS (H1) that I am going to be towing the trailer I purchase with. Any suggestions? Major differences between the two trailers? I know the M101A1 does not have brakes and the M116A2 does, but will this make a big difference when hauling? Thanks in advance!

mangus580

I am slightly confused.... the M116A2 should be a flatbed. Unless someone is reading the tags wrong on it?

I would go for the A2, as it should have surge brakes, and standard 8 lug rims... making spares alot easier to come by.

pics would help too.

citizensoldier

Go with the A2.. It will sit better with what your towing it with.. No tubes and flaps to worry about. Will pull better at high speeds and you can balance the tires. The serge brakes help greatly even with a empty trailer. Remember they are about 1280lbs empty. You can come up with bows and a cover for the M101A2 "M116" fairly reasonable..
To be clear here.. The M116 is the chassis number.. So the second trailer is a M101A2 utilizing the M116A2 chassis ..:roll::roll::-D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wait just a second here. Mike, don't you have an M116 with a bed on it?
Along with what everyone else said, I'd go -A2. Not only for the listed reasons but also you can get a flat fixed at any podunkt tire shop. Not every shop wants to see a split ring rim. WIth it being a newer trailer, I'd bed it has some rust treatment on it before it was sprayed. I have an -A1 getting converted to an -A2. I really like the looks of the old style wheels but I need to be practical. Save the -A1 for the M37 and M715 crowd. I also noticed that the -A2 has fiberglass racks, a big +.

mangus580

Kenny, I have noticed that the A2's use a 116 plate on the tongue, and then a 101 plate on the front of the bed.

I am not sure if this is standard on the older 101s?

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wait just a second here. Mike, don't you have an M116 with a bed on it?
Along with what everyone else said, I'd go -A2. Not only for the listed reasons but also you can get a flat fixed at any podunkt tire shop. Not every shop wants to see a split ring rim. WIth it being a newer trailer, I'd bed it has some rust treatment on it before it was sprayed. I have an -A1 getting converted to an -A2. I really like the looks of the old style wheels but I need to be practical. Save the -A1 for the M37 and M715 crowd. I also noticed that the -A2 has fiberglass racks, a big +.
:ditto: Brakes,tires & wheels, fiberglass.[thumbzup]

herrickd

Well, I guess I am going to go with the M116A2, or is it a M101A2 with a M116 frame? Haha. Whatever it is called...it sounds like that is the one to buy. Thanks for your help guys! Maybe someone can help me find a cargo cover for this one?

herrickd

One more thing. The M116A2 is going to be $600 to ship and the M101A1 is only going to be $225. That is a big difference in cost now. Do you still think it is worth it for the M116? Can I add brakes and different rims/tires to the M101A1?

citizensoldier

One more thing. The M116A2 is going to be $600 to ship and the M101A1 is only going to be $225. That is a big difference in cost now. Do you still think it is worth it for the M116? Can I add brakes and different rims/tires to the M101A1?
You can add brakes/axle ,serge brake set up, and different rims to a M101A1 but it would cost you more than the extra shipping cost. Or maybe hold out for a M101A2 in your area? I think Mangus had one for sale in NY ?

mangus580

Why such a change in shipping? Are they 2 different locations? Where are they located, maybe members can help?

herrickd

You can add brakes/axle ,serge brake set up, and different rims to a M101A1 but it would cost you more than the extra shipping cost. Or maybe hold out for a M101A2 in your area? I think Mangus had one for sale in NY ?
Mangus...You don't have an A2 do you? I can't remember if I have asked you or not? I have asked so many people if they do.

The shipping is so different b/c one is on the east coast (M101A1) and the other is in the Midwest (M116A2)

Last edited:

mangus580

I have an A2 project trailer.... It doesnt have any side racks... and will need 'assembly' and painting.

I was hoping to get $600 out of it..... so it may not be ideal for you.

Stonepicker1

Herrickd, I would go with the M116A2 as it will hold more weight, has a newer cargo bed and side racks, surge brakes and you should be able to use HMMWV tires and rims on the M116A2. That way when you are pulling with your Hummer you can use the spare for both.

Armada

I have the opportunity to purchase either a M101A1 in great condition with top bows and cover and everything else included or a M116A2 in good condition too with sides (not flatbed) and tailgate. What should I do? They are both in about the same price range, but I don't know which to purchase.
I don't understand the above statement about the same price range. The pics you posted are for trailers currently waiting to be auctioned so there is no price yet. Who knows what they'll end up at. And I would bet the prices will not be similar when the auction ends.