• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2-A3. Best Overall Military Trailer Ever??

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are dozens of different Military trailers.
From really big to really small.

Most are designed to carry only one thing.
Water, fuel, ammo, shelters, wire, telephone poles, etc.
A lot are big and heavy and impossible for most of us to use without a proper tow vehicle. (Yes, those would be awesome to have, but not the point of this thread).

Several carry whatever is needed.
M101 series, M1101/2, M105 series, etc.

The M105's are big, tall and heavy.
Surplus prices are cheap. A lot are in use behind pickups and surplus M35/M939's. While an excellent trailer, it's not a grocery getter.

The M1101/2 are smaller, lighter, but have a wider track (as designed) and are not trail friendly, as they tend to snag things.
Tie down points are usually worthless, exposed taillights are prone to cargo damage. Tailgate does not drop flush.
Surplus prices coming down and still plenty available.
Still a great trailer for civilian use.

Now we come to the time tested M101 series.

While there are pros and cons of ANY trailer, I think the M101 series, particularly the M101A2/3 models, are the best Military trailers ever.

Built like a tank, tows beautifully, easy to maintain surge brakes, normal height, standard GM wheel (A2), easily modified into small camper, etc., tailgate drops flush, taillights out of way, and on and on.
Surplus prices are way up and availability is really down.
Spare parts are extremely scarce, especially considering how many of these were built.
Even so.....
Its easily, IMO, the best overall Military trailer ever.

I use mine almost everyday.
Its hooked up right now to my M1008A1 to be used today.
Ive been approached and asked about it countless times now.
Where did I get it, woukd I sell it, the size and usefulness of it, etc.

They are the perfect trailer for me and I will never sell them. (I have two)
You cannot buy a same size civilian trailer that is this well built.

I know I've probably missed a bunch of good and bad points on the other trailers, but you get what I'm trying to say.

Now to get just one more...........

two.fiveM35

Totally agree. I've used my m101 for so many things. They are solid and simple. If I had to decrease my MV herd, the M101's would be the last to go

Barrman

I agree with you. I have 2 M101A2 trailers and 2 M105A3 trailers. The 105's haven't left my property in a few years. The 101's get used a lot. I camped in mine at the Texas Rally a few months ago. However, at times they are a bit bigger than needed.

I had been pestering Kwai for years and years about an ugly looking M416 he had just sitting. He called me on a Sunday afternoon last fall saying if I still wanted it to meet him at a BBQ stand on I-10 in two hours. He was hauling it back from where he kept it to sell in Houston. I hooked up my flat bed to the M1009 and was there waiting for him.

M416 trailers are small. However, if packed right, they are just right. Behind a M1009, you really can't tell it is there. Military wise, they are the only trailer supposed to be pulled behind a M1009. Actually, the M416A2 with the surge brakes is the only trailer supposed to be pulled by a M1009. I have heard of a M416a2, seen them in the TM, but never seen a real live one myself.

I wanted the M416 originally for a single reason. Mountain bike racing high school league. Colton and 2 others of my Trail Life kids were the entire team this year. I knew we would be traveling several hundred miles, camping for the weekend and having to live out of our vehicle. Sometimes with very, very tight camping accommodations. I bolted a receiver hitch to the bottom of the M416, did the bearings and put new tires on it. I also made a canvas tarp into a cover and used a PVC ridge pole.

We were able to put coolers of food, drinks, extra water, tools, bike stand, gear inside the trailer with a 4 bike rack hanging off the back. It was a race weekend on wheels. I could hand move it myself out of the way during the week, load up as needed and then hand roll it back to what ever vehicle was going to pull it that weekend. Small enough to get at anything from either side too. Very, very handy and useful. That was my intent when I got it and it worked perfect. Especially during storms with the simple tarp. A M101 would have been a moving air brake with the top on going to the races and probably not fit some of the camping spots.

The month after I got it another use came up. I was president of the band boosters the last few years. Our high school host a regional marching competition every October. The boosters basically run the event which includes 3 concession stands. Local businesses donated ice for us to use. A packing blanket underneath and another on top turn the M416 into a great ice chest/transporter. I didn't have new tires then, so I limited the ice to only 600 pounds. But driving over town picking it up, on the field, under the bleachers and such dropping ice off all day behind the M1009 worked perfect.

I still think a M101A2 is the best multi use trailer I own. But, a M416 comes real close behind it. Especially as I look to the future and think about moving him into college, him moving himself to wherever his life takes him, etc... I should have the Cowdog tweaked enough to start doing road trips/camping trips with it. If Jennifer and I can't fit everything we need for an expedition into the truck. I will probably use a M101 to drag along.

I only have a single picture of the trailer here at work. Sitting on my trailer right after I loaded it up.

Attachments

jhama78

Having just recently(yesterday) purchased an M101A1 it's great to see this thread. I wish mine was and A2/3 variant for ease of finding wheels but honestly I don't see a problem with the wheels in the around town/home/farm use that mine will see.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having just recently(yesterday) purchased an M101A1 it's great to see this thread. I wish mine was and A2/3 variant for ease of finding wheels but honestly I don't see a problem with the wheels in the around town/home/farm use that mine will see.
I use mine almost daily on my ranch.
Dirt, hay, fencing, trash, scrap, ice, etc., etc.
In fact used the tailgate as a workbench today grinding some things to paint.
Any M101 series are excellent trailers.

Im still amazed just how useful they are and how easily they are modified,
if I ever wanted to.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet they (M416) are handy trailers. They look it.
Too small for my needs, but I would like to have one.

They didn't make as many and are much harder to find from what I've read.
If you do find them, they are more $$ than the M101 series.

Yea
I will never sell my M101A2's.

Unless it's stupid money of course..........

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking for a third one to do something very similar.
Also have a 06 GMC 2500HD and would be using that to pull it with.
Already have two matching truck wheels for it.

Will be normal paint and hitch, All led lights to current DOT standards, etc.

You and others have come up with some really good ideas for these trailers.

Just another reason why these are so versatile

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drive price up?!
They are high now

I paid $200 each for mine less than a year ago. GP Texarkana Texas
Thats when they had acres of them.

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drive price up?!
They are high now

I paid $200 each for mine less than a year ago. GP Texarkana Texas
Thats when they had acres of them.
Drive them up figuratively speaking. I believe those days are over, but alas. Story of my life, day late, dollar short. I also missed out on all the 900 series trucks. Sigh.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M101A2/3's and M939's are still around, just coming out at a slow trickle. Plus the demil change on the 5 tons.
The flood of them is definitely over.

You won a nice trailer today.
Your gonna love it.

They aren't making anymore, so buy what you can.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_6428.jpgIMG_6424.jpgIMG_6425.jpgIMG_6429.jpg

Restored 1950's era steel lawn chairs with the help of a wonderful trailer, the M101A2.
Chairs were bought just over a week ago at a nic nak shop.

Weather had been great, so instead of inside the shop, I took advantage of a great shade tree
Using the tailgate of my tan M101A2, I sanded down everything to bare metal.
They had been painted multiple times over the years.
Lots of hidden rust and two of the seat bolts were almost rusted through.

Using the bed racks, I hung a wire tight across the bed from the top of the rack to the other rack.
Made the perfect placement and height for hanging the seat and back for priming and painting and drying.
The gap between the tailgate and bed did a really great job of holding the tube while I sanded it down.
It was painted elsewhere as the back and seat were still drying.

Not original colors of course, but used excellent paint and all new hardware.
I did not go back with slotted screws.

The tube, cleaned out inside earlier, was flooded with anti corrosion fluid, so no more rust inside.
They should last another 50 years.

Point is, the trailer provided a VERY handy and useful place to work. Racks came in handy and if the pieces were any longer, would have used a bow or two to hang parts.
Sure I could've used my shop or a pickup tailgate, but using the trailer, didn't have to worry about overspray or any damage to truck.
Plus I like being outside.

I'm planning on buying two more M101A2 or 3s
Shame I didn't buy more when they were $200

edit;
Forgot
These chairs will be used in the back of the M925A2 watching fireworks this year.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks