• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2/A3 surge brake lockout bolt size?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

I am recovering a M101A3 trailer, supposedly in great shape, but I want to be ready for anything. What size bolt do I need for locking out the surge brake if that is a problem? I just want to be ready for anything

Thanks!

Jeepadict

It depends if it has the lockout holes on the swing arms or in the housing with the booster...the swing arms are a size smaller. My brain forgets the size...like 5/16 or 3/8 I think...about 6" long. If the trailer is empty I can't see much catastrophic driving it to a hardware store.

All of the surge brake components are serviceable and available from the manufacturer, Mendenhall Industries. The owner did a stellar job of getting me set up with everything I needed, even had the adjustable chanel!

PS, all the hub components are available from the trailer supplier of your choice as they used Dexter components that are identical to surge brakes from boats. However, the parking brake cables are hen's teeth...brake handles were sourced about a year ago by a SS member.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeepadict,

Thats what I am looking for. Any chance you have a better pic of that packing list with the part #'s? Thats a majority of what I will be replacing, as I am sure the brake components are 25+ years old..... I am going to replace the shock for sure. Then tear into the MC to make sure it is functioning well.

My brake handles and hand brake cables are present and in good shape, so no worries there.

Thanks for the info and pic!

Last edited:

Jeepadict

I'm sure I have it in a file, but you won't need it...Calvin is ultra-savy about this stuff. He'll prob ask if it's a new or old style, I sent him a bunch of diff angle pics. I told him what I was looking to do and he took it from there.

Don't fuss with the master cylinder, just replace it. Calvin will tell you that the system was designed for DOT-3 so that's what I put in mine. He'll also tell you that if you're going to replace the shock, then he has an updated spring for you. He set me up right, even the pivot bolt bushings. Oh, and get the diaphragm screw cap if you don't already have it...that bent tube & hose thing is retarded.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting on the updated spring. Can't say I have seen that information before.

Do you have the part number for the updated spring?

Jeepadict

Not handy, I'm sure I do in a file possibly. Calvin at Mendenhall has all the goods at his fingertips and is far less expensive buying direct than Croft or eTrailer.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy cow, what an awesome company www.mendenhallindustries.com The guy that answered the phone was incredibly knowledgeable about all things surge brakes and took care of me with what I needed. You need a part for a military surge brake, call them! A ++++++++++++++ service from Mendenhall Industries

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks