• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 and SR97 Problem

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been trying to submit the info needed to get an SR97 for my M101A2 to GL but they are saying I do not have the correct info. Bottom line, my trailer's data plate did not show a manufacturers name and only has a 4 digit serial number. They way they cannot process my request without a VIN number.

Is there any other place on the trailer that would show a "VIN" number?

:?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The serial number is the same as the VIN. It is possible you may have to stamp some more info onto the the data plate ;-). Or easier yet, tell the tax office your trailer is a 2010 "shopmade"

papakb

If you bought the trailer from GL then you should have the paperwork from the sale. Send COPIES of it back to GL and ask them for the Form 97 and pay their $60 extortion fee. GL is notoriously lax on putting important things like serial numbers and/or even correct NSNs on their paperwork. If your not the original buyer then you're SOL. A form 97 can only be issued to the original buyer and not to a subsequent purchaser.

For most civy vehicles the VIN number is a number/letter sequence of 17 digits. Most of them have to do with model year, manufacturer, model, and serial number. This info can be found online but for trailers it isn't all that important. Most of the military trailers I've had to deal with have had either 4 or 6 digit numbers and that usually suffices for a reg number. Don't worry about someone else having the same number, how many serial number 1 trailers do you think have been made over the years?

Here in California if you don't have the Form 97 you can still go to the DMV with whatever paperwork GL sent you along with a Statement of Facts form and a VIN verification document and get a title. The Statement of Facts is just your explanation of how you came into posession of the trailer and the VIN Verification is a document signed by any law enforcement officer stating that he saw the data plate with that number on it attached to the vehicle.

And remember, dealing with either GL or the DMV is much simpler if Job is a member of your ancestry. LOL

Good luck!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First, do you need a an SF97 or title to register it in Texas? A lot of states do not require anything but a bill of sale.
When i've purchased trailers from GL, I would take a photo of the data plate, the trailer, and the invoice from GL,
to our Secretary of State (DMV) office and walk out ten minutes later with a registration and license plate.

mistaken1

What are the texas laws regarding trailer titling?

You could add a number of "0" (zeros) in front of your 4 digit number to bring the digit count up to where the GL worker is happy.

3dAngus

I was lucky enought to have little or no trouble getting registration for my M1061E1 trailer today in Georgia. I just paid the wife $20 to take care of it, took photos of the plates which I was lucky to have, then they wanted a Deputy to come out and take a look. Wife called them and they showed up in 1/2 hour, wrote the number on the paper, and she took it back. I didn't need a SF97 or anything other than the deputy's signature and the invoice from GL. It was a pretty flawless operation.

I think I overpaid her, but after listening to some of the horror stories here on SS, gave here a bonus on top of the $20. Much cheaper than a SF97, and I didn't have a worry in the world.
It took here about 90 minutes total to get a license plate and registration.

Hope my deuce goes as well, and, I'm sure it will. Just don't try it in Atlanta!

jtpasto

California License

In California just take a copy of the paid invoice, make an appointment at DMV and take your trailer in when you go. They will register the trailer and give you a permanent trailer license. I have now registered two trailers with no problems. Forget the SF97.

scranch18121

In Texas you do not need a title to register a trailer if the GVWR is under 4K. A M101a2 is under that. All you need to do is take your GL paperwork (your invoice, and print the original GL listing), a pic of the data plate, down to the DMV and register it. DO NOT REGISTER IT AS A SHOP MADE TRAILER.... YOU DID NOT BUILD IT IN A SHOP... IT WAS MANUFACTURED BY A VENDOR. Keep it honest. False statements and making stuff up just to get something registered NOW will screw you later.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of the Mfg. names are : Kasel Co.....Stevens....Pribbs.....Johnson.....Case-Master.
My plate was faded on my A2, but it said Kasel Company, and my A3 said: Pribbs.

lexluther

In California just take a copy of the paid invoice, make an appointment at DMV and take your trailer in when you go. They will register the trailer and give you a permanent trailer license. I have now registered two trailers with no problems. Forget the SF97.
I am in California, and the DMV in my town looked in their manual on how to register government surpluss, and made me get the sf97l maybe it was just because I wanted an actual title, but, what a PITA.

nonpro

Here in Louisiana all that has to be done is have a State Trooper inspect the trailer and give you the form stating that the unit passed the visual inspection and the bring that paperwork along with the paerwork from GL and they will issue your plate and the title will be sent to your home as I have had several done that qway here.

jtpasto

California

I live in California and obtained license plates and a registered title from DMV just by taking in a copy of the paid GovLiquidation invoice and the trailer for their inspection. There is no requirement to obtain a SF97. In fact good luck trying to get a correct SF97. None of my trailers have a manufacturer's name, manufacturer date or serial number. My last trailer was reconditioned and who knows if the bed was the original on the frame.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in Louisiana all that has to be done is have a State Trooper inspect the trailer and give you the form stating that the unit passed the visual inspection and the bring that paperwork along with the paerwork from GL and they will issue your plate and the title will be sent to your home as I have had several done that qway here.
Does this work for the using the VIN# in lieu of a plate?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Kazakhstan, trailers are pulled by Oxen or Mother-inlaws and therefore need no registration at all.

Last edited:

lexluther

I live in California and obtained license plates and a registered title from DMV just by taking in a copy of the paid GovLiquidation invoice and the trailer for their inspection. There is no requirement to obtain a SF97. In fact good luck trying to get a correct SF97. None of my trailers have a manufacturer's name, manufacturer date or serial number. My last trailer was reconditioned and who knows if the bed was the original on the frame.
Must depend on the DMV office you go to. The california manual for DMV workers says they need the SF97...if they look in the manual, you are SOL...

scranch18121

In Kazakhstan, trailers are pulled by Oxen or Mother-inlaws and therefore need no registration at all.
:funny:Guy lives in Comfort Texas (as far as I can tell) so I would assume he wants to register his trailer in Texas not California, Louisania, or Maine. I would think he would like input from Texas people on his issue.

However..... in Kazakhstan they do have a bridge, and dirt road tax. When you come upon a bridge and there happens to be a guy standing there with a AK or RPG and tells you to pass you need to give him a chicken or that small piglet you have in the bed of your unregistered trailer you will need to pay the tax on demand. There are no historical, antique, or farm use wavers or exemptions on the "on the spot" tax collection. Also they wont let you pay your tax/ fee in any of the other 'Stan' countries.

Pawnshop

Agreed! In Texas an SF97 is not required on ANY vehicle that does not require a title, including trailers under 4k GVW, like the M101A2. I took my GL invoice and a photo of the data plate to my local Tax Office and got it done. DO NOT alter the data plate! "Vin number tampering" is a FELONY! Just lay all the cards on the table and let the Tax Office figure it out. In my case the lady decided to register it as a "home built" because there is no set of numbers clearly marked "vin or serial number", I explained all the numbers to her and that was still her opinion. I have the receipt with her name on it so I can pass the buck if anyone has trouble with it down the road.

lexluther

:funny:Guy lives in Comfort Texas (as far as I can tell) so I would assume he wants to register his trailer in Texas not California, Louisania, or Maine. I would think he would like input from Texas people on his issue.
Yes, but the lesson from Kalifornia that each dmv or each dmv operatior might give a different requirement within a particular state, depending on what their manual says, and what side of the bed they get up on, is probably the same for all the states... So the lesson is, just because you read here it isnt required, dont be surprised if it is...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks