• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Axle Bearing and brake questions

Firehound

Howdy!

I've got a 1983 M101A2 that has a bearing that gets uncomfortably warm after a few miles. Where would I begin to look at finding a new set of bearings? Anyone have the tech pubs on how to perform the change?

Also, I've heard tell that the M101A2 has surge brakes, but as best as I can tell mine just has break-away brakes. How do you tell what you really have and how do you tell if it's working properly?

Thanks y'all!

Westech

CPL
I would take them out and check them out/service before I would just say there junk.
It is VERY simple to take them out and do the service. You should not need a manual to do wheel bearings on a dead axle.

As the brakes goes do the brakes come on when trying to back up? It should be a ez tell to see if you have surge brakes or not by the action of the lunet.

Firehound

I dont feel the surge brakes come on when in reverse, but the unit DOES have brakes beyond the parking breaks. There is a hydraulic line running to the hitch and a break-away activation lever. Is it possible to just have the brake-away, or is the system completely inop?

Mistaken1 Thanks for the manual!!! I'm a former Jayhawk Avionics tech, and I currently work on Chinooks... I was hoping to run across a M101 manual that I knew how to read!

I dont feel the surge brakes come on when in reverse, but the unit DOES have brakes beyond the parking breaks. There is a hydraulic line running to the hitch and a break-away activation lever. Is it possible to just have the brake-away, or is the system completely inop?

Mistaken1 Thanks for the manual!!! I'm a former Jayhawk Avionics tech, and I currently work on Chinooks... I was hoping to run across a M101 manual that I knew how to read!

You probably need to adjust the brake shoes. I have had to do that on several.