• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Brake Flulid

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What Fluid should I use in the M101A2 Surge Brake? Hearing something about Silicone. Were should I buy the proper brake fluid as well. Brakes are working, would like to service the resivoir.
Thanks Bob.

armytruck63

I bought a gallon of DOT 5 at Napa a few years ago. It was $92 per gallon.

Ask for a fleet/ owner-operator discount (your Army truck counts) or a AAA discount and use whichever saves you more.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Surplus stores, about $30/gal. I get mine from Spruce Mountain Surplus. If you only need a little bit, some auto parts stores like Advance Auto have an 8 ounce bottle for about $10. Use DOT5

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like it's DOT 5 (does that mean silicone) would be the spec brake fluid? I'm wondering if I should just use the trailer seeing the brakes are working, or if I should just go ahead and drain and clean and replace? Any Thoughts or experince!!!!!!!
Bob.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM shows a sticker (which is missing from my trailer) that says Silicone Brake Fluid. But I like Frodobaggins idea about drain, flush, fill with dot 3. Does it work??? God I feel like a rookie!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you tell I'm not use to working on Military!!!!!!!!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can flush and fill with DOT 3 if you want. It's made for DOT5 and its worked this far but you can swap it. Make sure you do a thorough flush with DOT3. I'd expect it would take a pint or better to get it sufficiently flushed. If you don't have a power bleeder, thats a lot of cranking on that breakaway lever.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should be fine, if you do a complete flush and change of the fluid(to dot 3). I would just use the dot 5.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys, I really appreciate the solid advice with the experince. I've been bitten by the GL bug, already been outbid twice a M101 trailers and stuff, now I just gotta get my wife to understand why I need this stuff.
Thanks Again
Bob.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found this old thread. You should never switch out types of brake fluid. DOT 3 & 4 are mineral based fluids and DOT 5 is a silicone based fluid. If you switch out the DOT five to DOT 3 the seals in the system will swell due to their incompatibility and vise versa. The seals will prematurely fail over time. I would never take the chance on this swap. Below is a link I made years ago.

PS: I carry an FAA Airframe & Powerplant License in my wallet

http://tccoa.com/articles/brakes/brake-fluid/index.shtml

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MarkM is spot on. Don't switch the fluids out, big headaches later with bad seals. DOT 5 does not like to blend with any other brake fluid, it will clot up when it contacts any residual DOT 3/4 fluid. I also have a FAA A&P.

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you notice the link "Recovry4x4" refers to is switching out DOT 5 to DOT 3 and maybe seals designed for DOT 3 can handle DOT 5 better than DOT 5 seals can handle DOT 3. The answer to that one that I honestly don't know but once done now you have to worry about how well a flushing job you did as any other fluid residue can cause problems. All I can say is I would never do this switch and everything I have learned over the years tells me it's a bad idea.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are quite a few folks here that did the covnersion from DOT5 to DOT 3 without negative results. One of them is cranetruck. He did his conversion a great number of years ago and never did have any issues with the conversion.

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not stating it won't work I am just making the recommendation that it may not be the best way to go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks