• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Brake Lockout Hole

dnote

My surge brakes work great, too good when reversing. I bought a 3/8 hitch pin for the lockout hole and it fits except the holes aren't lining up so well. I'm sure if I hammered it in it would fit but I don't want to have to rely on that. Plus getting it out would be a chore.

Is there a possibility of damaging anything important if I run a drillbit through the holes to shave off a hair so the pin will slide through effortlessly?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes, you can screw things up when forcing them! Try pulling forward, then installing the pin.

Edit, if on a hill, you may need to set the brakes, then pull forward. You should be able to see through the brake assembly before inserting pin.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suspect that the slight misalignment is wear on the fibre bushings/parallel side bars, that the pintle ring swings on. There are 8 of them.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could try using a drift pin to re-align the holes from each side, then slide the pin in. You may still have to use a hammer to knock out the pin after use, so keep the drift pin or smaller diameter bolt and hammer handy. The trailer should not be hitched when you do this.

Or use a smaller diameter hitch pin. If you only use the pin for backing up, a 1/4 inch bolt or pin would be adequate.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would just use a long 3/8: drill, just ream out the hole so the 3/8 " pin slides in, do this while HOOKED UP because this is the condition of the trailer when backing and the holes will be where they should be. set the brakes, pull forward, drill, this should do it for you.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one w/ that issue. I just want to lock it out untill I get a chance to redo the whole brack system. The MC was empty when we got it, and right now it only gets used to do dump runs.

dnote

I would just use a long 3/8: drill, just ream out the hole so the 3/8 " pin slides in, do this while HOOKED UP because this is the condition of the trailer when backing and the holes will be where they should be. set the brakes, pull forward, drill, this should do it for you.
Precisely what I was thinking.

quickfarms

Pretty sure my shock is in good order, feels like it is anyways. I've had the brakes lock up a bit when backing up with a load in it.
I have used these trailers to haul a lot. It is not uncommon for me to scale right at 3/4 ton, yet I have yet to have my brakes lock up, or even drag, when backing up.

My suggestion is to use a light foot.

Are you backing over a curb when this occurs?

Are your brakes, including the hand brakes, and wheel bearings correctly adjusted and serviced?

Is your hitch set to tow the trailer level?

dnote

When backing into the front yard there is a big dip (where a curb would and should be). It'll lock up there.
Brakes are all working right except when spinning a wheel I can hear something making contact. I wouldn't think that would affect the brakes locking up in reverse though.

quickfarms

When backing into the front yard there is a big dip (where a curb would and should be). It'll lock up there.
Brakes are all working right except when spinning a wheel I can hear something making contact. I wouldn't think that would affect the brakes locking up in reverse though.
Are you talking a hole or a drainage ditch?