• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Civilian Conversion Build

Would you like to see the transformation build?

• Yes, I am interested in seeing what you do.

Votes: 78 95.1%
  • No, I like to keep military equipment traditional and have no interest.

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters

Texas Manny

Hey Y'all,

I have a question. I've purchased a M101A2 to convert to civilian use and I intend to strip it completely of its military appearance. I really enjoy doing build threads, but realize the traditionalist of this board. Would you like to watch the transformation or would it be out of place here? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Manny

If there is no interest, I will ask this post to be deleted.

Snarky

I'm interested, I love watching stuff like that. People on the FJ Cruiser forums build up M101s occasionally. Everyone has different ideas, that's what inspires me to go out and do things.

number9

Yes do post the project. I have a M116A3 that I am going to make into a utility trailer, but I hope to keep it as Mil-spec looking as I can. I may get some ideas from your project.

Texas Manny

I intend to keep all military equipment on the trailer. I have the cable reel for the generator mounted inside, which I intend to convert to a spare tire carrier on the outside of the trailer. I will get two NATO Jerry Cans along with the appropriate size fire extinguisher.

The trailer is going to be completely sand blasted, primed and painted to match my 83 Chevy K10. Full inspection/repair of the brakes will be done. The current rims/tires will be sold and new ones with 33x10.5x16's will be going on. I will be adding mud flaps to the trailer as well.

I purchased an M35 ladder from one of the guys here on SS, so that will be fitted to the trailer. I intend to have a receiver hitch put on the rear frame for holding an extra carrier, and to serve as a platform for a mobile BBQ pit.

Although all the wood slats are in excellent shape, I'm going to redo them all in White Oak, varnished and coated with marine lacquer for water protection. Same for the bows. The original woods I have I will be selling as there is nothing wrong with them. I just want a change.

The inside and top of the cargo bed, along with the inner tailgate will be Herculined. I will either be getting a real canvas from Beechwood or I will go and get the stock cover from GSA. Unsure yet. I will be adding fishing pole racks, rifle racks, shovel/pick racks, hi lift jack brackets, along with some other stuff.

These are just some idea's. I'm still mulling others around. One of the guys suggested I put fold down seats along the inside of the cargo bed, so that I can have all the kids from the 4x4 club get in and be able to go for a ride. I'm giving that some considerations too.

I intend to start on this project within the next few weeks. I have been lining up vendors, shops, etc., to help me with the work. If y'all have any idea's, please offer them up. I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Manny

Nick

Can I make one suggestion to start with.

I know its ALOT more expensive, but get it Rhino lined or something else professionally done.

I did my M101 bed, top and bottom, with herculiner, and its crap. I currently have parts in it for my Power Wagon. And as I need the parts, I take em out and istall em. Well, the herculiner, even with three coats, is scratched and in some spots peeling and showing the metal and primer underneath.

I did all as the directions said, primed the sandblasted bare metal with metal primer, cleaned with acetone, everything. And if I slide a driveshaft across it, it scratches and peels up.

As compared to my Dakota's bed, done with line-x, drug brake dums, axel casings and bed parts on it, and nothing noticeable.

As I said it will be expensive though, when I asked Line-x for a quote, they told me $1000 for the bed and $1000 for the underneath. And thats just the bed, not the frame.

Look at my photo album and youll see some of the process of herculining.

Nick

Texas Manny

Hey Nick,

I hear you on the lining. Yes, I will more than likely go with Line-X and have it done that way. I Herculined the inside of my K10 and it worked out really well. I haven't experienced any issues. The inside of the trailer will see a lot of action, moving camping gear in, and out, so I do want it to be durable. Thank you so much for your insight. I appreciate it and it will be heeded.

Thanks!

Manny

Can I make one suggestion to start with.

I know its ALOT more expensive, but get it Rhino lined or something else professionally done.

I did my M101 bed, top and bottom, with herculiner, and its crap. I currently have parts in it for my Power Wagon. And as I need the parts, I take em out and istall em. Well, the herculiner, even with three coats, is scratched and in some spots peeling and showing the metal and primer underneath.

I did all as the directions said, primed the sandblasted bare metal with metal primer, cleaned with acetone, everything. And if I slide a driveshaft across it, it scratches and peels up.

As compared to my Dakota's bed, done with line-x, drug brake dums, axel casings and bed parts on it, and nothing noticeable.

As I said it will be expensive though, when I asked Line-x for a quote, they told me $1000 for the bed and $1000 for the underneath. And thats just the bed, not the frame.

Look at my photo album and youll see some of the process of herculining.

Nick
I would agree 100%. I did the inside of my '77 CJ7 when I redid it a few years ago. I did everything right as did you and it peeled off every time i turned around. on the other hand I got the inside of my 91 f150 done by Rhinolinings and it has been the greatest thing ever. I did get one spot that "peeled" off but that was my fault because I backed a mower into the wheel well in the bed and the rim sliced a piece off. I super glued it back to the metal and it great. I only paid 500 for the whole thing and they did the "over the rails" where the actually to the top of the bed sides also. Higher reccommended all the way around and I will never and I repeat NEVER own a truck with out that wonderful bed liner in it. The only bad thing I have noticed it that it is not very resistant to UV light. Mine did fade a lot because I was usung it a lot with my cover off the bed. I believe that actually make some kind of UV resistant lining.

tm america

what would you be using it for .i think it would be easy to make it fit civvy needs pretty easy.i dont think guys as wound up about modding a trailer as they do about modding a truck:roll:i'm interested in seeing what you do with it

jluv1185

what would you be using it for .i think it would be easy to make it fit civvy needs pretty easy.i dont think guys as wound up about modding a trailer as they do about modding a truck:roll:i'm interested in seeing what you do with it
Too funny. Well there you have it! Post it by all means. I like to see new ideas at work!

Texas Manny

I received back the cost to completely sand blast and prime the trailer with automotive primer. The cost came in at $800.00. The gentleman that does it is top notch and knows his stuff. I plan on having it done the end of the month, so I will start my build thread. I'm already lining up parts, etc.

Since the overwhelming vote is to do the build thread, I will do it. I'm quite the pic whore, so there will be plenty for y'all to see. When I write my build threads, I write them so anyone with any level of skill can follow and have confidence to do the same. So please do not take it as if I am trying to insult anyone. I'm not. I try to encourage others with every opportunity I receive.

Thanks!

Manny

Nick

$800 bucks isnt bad at all. I made the mistake of havin the inside of the bed, and the underneath of the bed done at seprate times, and still havent had the sides done. I also made the mistake of going to a powder coater to have it blasted. $400 for the inside, $400 for the underside, and when I brought it back last month, $400 to do the sides!!

$400 for the sides???? COMEON!!! the sides are the smallest parts!

Wish I was closer to your guy!! Still lookin for a decent price to sandblast the sides..Its all I need to have done to have the trailer completely done.

Nick

Texas Manny

Hey Y'all,

Thanks for the support. I will be doing a build thread and it will be posted up in here.

Today I received from a fellow SS member, a brand new M35 ladder. I will be able to use it with the trailer and will make getting in and out a lot easier. It will be blasted and painted to match the trailer as well.

Right now, I'm in the process of registering the trailer so I can move it without trouble from the local popo's.

I am in need of a master cylinder for the surge brakes. There is a number stamped on it: 29732. If someone could point me to a source for these I'd appreciate it. Mine, although functioning, has considerable rust inside, which means moisture is present in the system. I want to replace that and other parts when I redo the brakes.

Thanks!

Manny

Texas Manny

Well, I belong to a 4x4 club here in San Antonio, TX. We go away for the weekends to different parks, and go down to Big Shell on the coast for a week. I am converting the trailer to use as a camper. It will remain just the way it is in design, but like I said I have changes in store. Here is my plan:

First, here is a picture of my truck. I'm almost finished with her...

1983 K10 4x4 Longbed, 383 stroker, NV4500, fixed yoke NP208, soon to be fixed yoke NP241, D60 4.56 w/power-lok, 14BFF 4.56 w/Detroit Locker. 12" Superlift Swamp Runner Suspension lift, 15x39.5x17 Super Swamper TSL's.

I have upgraded the braking system on my truck to include discs on the 14 bolt and an upgraded hydroboost with high output power steering pump and cooler for the braking.

As for the lift. The trailer hitch in the rear comes in at 32" center. The trailer is currently 24" center. With adding 33's to the trailer, I will see where the height comes in and if necessary, have custom lift springs made to make the trailer level. Surge brakes will be fully serviceable.

My plan for the trailer is:

1. Sand blast and paint to match the truck.
2. Axle painted semi gloss black, with brakes totally rebuilt
3. Generator cable reel inverted to carry full size spare on outside of trailer.
4. Line-X the interior, top rails and tail gate inside and top rail.
5. New White Oak wood pieces, stained and varnished with marine lacquer.
6. Jerry Cans
7. Water Bottles (big cooler type)
8. Generator
9. Small freezer
10. Fire extinguisher
11. Tool Box
12. Pick, Shovel, Axe rack
13. Gun rack
14. Fishing pole rack
15. Lockable storage
16. All typical camping gear
17. Sleeping mattress (undecided about air/regular)
18. Trailer hitch BBQ and carry rack
19. Coolers
20. Interior lights

These are just some idea's. I would appreciate all the constructive criticism and ideas that you can give. I may have over looked something.

Thanks for looking.

Manny

Last edited:

Nick

Wow, if you make some of that stuff actually work, I really wanna see it. I thought about doin that to mine, but was w0rried about loosing space, and where to put it all.

Im seriously interested to see it done cuz I want mine to be a camping trailer. The question is, is will that all be able to come out easily so the trailer can be used to haul a load of sand or rock, or a few sheets of drywall?

Keep goin, I like the ideas.

Nick

Texas Manny

Wow, if you make some of that stuff actually work, I really wanna see it. I thought about doin that to mine, but was w0rried about loosing space, and where to put it all.

Im seriously interested to see it done cuz I want mine to be a camping trailer. The question is, is will that all be able to come out easily so the trailer can be used to haul a load of sand or rock, or a few sheets of drywall?

Keep goin, I like the ideas.

Nick
Hey Nick,

I don't intend to use the trailer for anything but camping. There will be no earth moving or construction material hauled with it. I have limitations that would prevent me from dealing with such volumes of materials. Anything like that would need to be delivered.

I intend for everything to be removable, yet all can be secured for travel. One idea I had for a mattress storage is to put removable brackets on the canvas bows so that the mattress could be suspended in travel, then when reaching the location and setting up the camp site, it could be easily be put on the trailer floor. I'm still up in the air (rofl) on this one.

I will try to make a map of everything laid out and what have you. I'm decent with MS Paint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks