• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Civilian Conversion Build

Would you like to see the transformation build?

• Yes, I am interested in seeing what you do.

Votes: 78 95.1%
  • No, I like to keep military equipment traditional and have no interest.

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters

davey8943

Hey Y'all,

I have a question. I've purchased a M101A2 to convert to civilian use and I intend to strip it completely of its military appearance. I really enjoy doing build threads, but realize the traditionalist of this board. Would you like to watch the transformation or would it be out of place here? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Manny

If there is no interest, I will ask this post to be deleted.

Manny, How is it going? I would love to see pictures of your progress!

Dave

ChrisABQ07

Manny --

I second Dave. I just found this thread and would like to see what you've done. I am really curious about your spare tire arrangement.

-- Chris

Texas Manny

Hi Y'all,

I'm sorry. I forgot about my thread. I'm still thinking/planning, etc.

One idea I did come up with is to have an electrician add a power box to the trailer so a portable generator can hook into it and there will be weatherproof outlets on the trailer to use for anything you like, such as camping equipment, power tools, small chest freezer, etc.

I'm using the trailer as a camping vehicle to haul gear to sites and then set up as a fixed structure. I won't be sleeping in it, but it will hold all the food, kitchen gear, tools, etc., you know.

Right now, I'm looking for a carpenter, more than likely a cabinet shop that will make me white oak supports to replace the military wood, stain it, and marine varnish it to make it watertight since I will be going to the coast with this trailer.

The trailer will match my truck so I may have to have some modified leaf springs made to raise the trailer a hair. The jury is still out on this as the truck is still being built and I need to see it will be necessary.

We have a company here in San Antonio that makes replacement axles here for the M101/102/116's that have electric brakes. I'm checking that out to see how viable ($$$) an option it is.

The trailer is going to be soda blasted, primed and painted to match my truck. The bed will be Line-X'd and since I'm partial to canvas, I will have a local tarp company make a canvas cover that will allow me to roll up the sides and rear for air/light when parked.

I do keep searching the trailer forum to get information on my trailer. It was been a valuable resource.

I did get a rear ladder from a lead here. Now I see a 7-pin conversion here too! Awesome.

I'll update from time to time. I apologize for leaving y'all hangin'.

Manny

WIH3

If you buy the cover made for the trailer from Gma For $285 it is watertight and the ends can be rolled up for access. You can't roll the sides up and have access because of the side-rails. You can't beat the GMA cover for weight of material and durability. I was looking into having my cover made also and the canvas shops here can't even come close to same quality and price was much much higher. Just my 2cents.

Texas Manny

If you buy the cover made for the trailer from Gma For $285 it is watertight and the ends can be rolled up for access. You can't roll the sides up and have access because of the side-rails. You can't beat the GMA cover for weight of material and durability. I was looking into having my cover made also and the canvas shops here can't even come close to same quality and price was much much higher. Just my 2cents.
Yes, you are absolutely correct. I will more than likely get the GMA cover. I just wish that they had a different color than green, camo or tan. Khaki or black would be preferred. That's why I am looking at a custom made canvas.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks