• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 - Fort Hood

TexasFJ

Today started early, up a little after 4AM then off to Fort Hood in the rain and a 30-40MPH headwind. Left around 5:30, tanked up and grabbed some coffee at the 7-11.

Got there a little before 8:30. For those that need to pickup at Fort Hood you will enter on the north side off of Hwy 36. Coming south from Gatesville you will look for the MATES entrance on the west side, go west less than a mile and turn left on Park, go south 1/3 mile or so and a National Guard soldier will meet you at the yellow pipe gate and direct you from there. No security checks, no one ever asked for insurance, ID or registration. GL didn't need my paperwork until after I was hooked up and ready to go....just simply told them my lot number.

Mud. It was a sloppy mess.

Impossible to get to the trailer, or anything else for that matter. A NG soldier was basically delivering the trailer to you, on a cement pad, using a ginormous all terrain forklift.

Here's another guy's trailer being delivered:

And mine arriving.

The M101 is light enough to handle by hand if it's on jack, so I wheeled it around and dropped in to the pintle and raised the jack... boom, it's hooked up...kinda.

The 8" lift receiver and pintle hit it pretty close with a stock FJ. So after waiting for the GL guy to come over and me sign my paperwork I exited the gate where I was parked and pulled in to an unused entrance for another lot and proceeded to wire up my tow lights, fix my safety chains and give it all a once over.

Ok... here's some notes for future reference.

1. The magnetic 11.99 tow lights form Harbor Freight worked just fine. I had some 12" zip ties and small bungie cords that I used to route my wires and add some backup security to the lights just in case one wanted to eject itself from the trailer.

2. Zip ties, take a bag of 12" zip ties. I ran the wires in the bed and tied to the panels, posts and frame, leaving enough slack to turn of course. Used a couple of very small bungies to safe the lights.
If you position the lights as I did you can see them in the rear view mirror.

3. I bought 12" of 3/8" chain, some hooks and removable chain link. I ended up simply looping the chain through the loops on the hitch instead of using the hooks as it made things too long. I'll get a photo tomorrow so you can see what I'm saying.

4. Tires are like new but were at 15lbs. Since I was headed back north I stopped in Gatesville just a few miles down the road and bumped them up to 32lbs, they'll hold more. Checked the bearing temps on the grease caps using my laser thermometer, never over 73 degrees, it was in the mid 60's most of the day. I had a small compressor with me just in case. You can see how far they had sunk in to the mud.

5. Tools. All I ended up needing was my needle nose pliers to pull cotter keys from the hooks I had added to the chain and did't need and to clip a few zip ties. I took a little bit of everything including a 4 way to check my 7/8" lugs, which were very tight.... but you just never know.

Trailer had bows and tarp in the bed plus the side panels/gates, all in very good shape. Some surface rust not worth mentioning here and there but overall the trailer is in great shape.

I'm going to get started this weekend by pulling the side panels and storing the bows/tarp then measure the axle so I can order the 3500lb Dexter with electric brakes. I have wheels and tires that match what I have on my FJ. I'll be selling the stock axle, wheels/tires and surge brakes. I'll start tearing it down from there. Black frame, black along the bottom, white sides and black in the bed. Should match my FJ nicely.

Pulled like a champ, should be very nice once I shave a few hundred off of it and get it leveled properly. I was surprised how smooth it was but hate the surge brakes, especially empty on wet roads.

And so it begins...

Attachments

Last edited:

harleyhouse

TexasFJ: Nice trailer and pick up pictures.

Sell off all of the original parts to help pay for the new axle, wheels, tires.
Pay the $15.00 to sell on here, this is the place to do it.

I changed my surge set up for an adjustable channel. Works great with a 2" ball and lunette.
I went from safety chains to cables and really like them, they coil up and do not hang down when towing.

My build on Expedition Portal:

Just purchased a Military trailer to build a family hauler

Attachments

Whitey

Excellent pictures!!!! We like those here. Also, that cluster of fuel cans in the background of the one picture look tempting. Not suggesting nabbing them or anything, actually suprised they're not secured. Good score!

-Whitey

TexasFJ

Congrats. She looks good. Well done, sir.
Thank you. SS was very helpful in preparing me, I rather have too much gear and not need it than the alternative.

Pulled the tarp out of the back and laid it out in the garage to dry out, seems to be in good shape just needs a good power washing.

Was looking at the bows, seems if you pull the legs that the bows might just fit int he stake pockets which would make nice low profile bows for a bed tarp??? Will see when I pull the side panels in a few days.

Attachments

Nice looking trailer. I picked up three M105's from Fort Hood about a week ago. All I can say is Paul (GL rep) and the NG soldiers are terrific folks. The most helpful and courteous you will find at any GL site. I've picked up stuff at Hooks before, including trailers, and there is simply no comparison. If you're in TX and you "need" an M101 or M105 - get them from Paul at Fort Hood. Trust me on this! :beer:

TexasFJ

Between weather and Christmas the trailer project has come to a bit of a halt. I intend on seeing about an axle setup tomorrow, still unsure about hubs and studs.

Did manage to pull the sides and put everything in storage. Will remove the surge brakes so I can weld on my adjustable hitch channel this week then attack axle and lights.

If anyone is interested in the axles, tires/wheels, surge system and lunette setup let me know.

Attachments

TexasFJ

Got her stripped down and pressure washed. I'll do some sanding and rust treatment here and there then shoot the frame with undercoating and go from there.

Axle ordered from Dexter, should be here in a week or so.

I have everything stripped off, surge brake system, lunette, axle and wheels/tires. I thought they were sold but haven't heard from the prospective buyer so I'm placing them up for sale. PM me if interested. $300 would take it all... you can't buy the tires for that.

Attachments

RANDYDIRT

TexasFJ: Nice trailer and pick up pictures.

Sell off all of the original parts to help pay for the new axle, wheels, tires.
Pay the $15.00 to sell on here, this is the place to do it.

I changed my surge set up for an adjustable channel. Works great with a 2" ball and lunette.
I went from safety chains to cables and really like them, they coil up and do not hang down when towing.

My build on Expedition Portal:

Just purchased a Military trailer to build a family hauler
Could you post all the pictures of your build here? That would keep them on this site and would be easier for everyone to see. You can't view your pics on expedition portal unless you belong to their site.

Dirt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks