• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Height Question

JR2980

Hey everyone -

I'm looking into getting an M101A2 to use for general hauling, and for camping. I'm looking into adding a removable rack that I can mount a roof-top tent into.

I'd like to be able to add the rack above the bows and cover so that I can still use the trailer for storage and transporting my ATV when camping.

Does anyone know offhand what the interior height is when the cover is on, and what the overall height is from the ground to the top when cover is on, or could someone get these measurements for me? I'd like to be able to carry 5-600 lbs between the weight of the rack and the tent/etc, but I'm a little concerned about how high it will be (I don't want to screw up the CG too badly).

Has anyone tried this? I've seen a few racks on the M101's, but usually they're alot lower and not with the cover on. Not sure if that's because no ones tried it yet, or if its been tried and doesn't work well (or maybe it has been done, and I just haven't found any). Any input from the smart people here would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what is the width between the parking brake handles up front? I'd like to add a tool box on the tongue, but not sure what size will fit up there - will I need to custom build one, or is there one that will fit without hitting the parking brake handles?

Thanks!

JR2980

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?77618-TM-s-for-Trailers

And the &P has a lot of the measurements you need.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload/trailer/TM9-2330-202-14&P.pdf

I can venture out today and get a measurement between the brake levers. But you'll need to build a custom box most likely. Or you might use some ammo can.
Thanks for the reply!

I saw the info in the TM, but wasn't sure exactly how to interpret it.

(From page 36)
DIMENSIONS

Height of Cargo Trailer (M101A1, M101A2 and M101A3): Empty . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 83 in. (210.82 cm)

Loaded . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 79in. (200.66 cm)

It looks to me like the total height from the ground is between 79 and 83 inches, but its not clear whether that's with or without the cover on (I'm leaning towards "with", but not sure), and I cant find anything about the total interior dimensions with the cover installed - basically, I need to know is an ATV will fit inside with the cover on?

Thanks!

JR2980

Only took me an hour to get this to attach!

Perfect - that's exactly what I needed.

Wow - I'll definitely be cutting it close. Bed length is 96", and my ATV is 93"; interior height is 49 1/4", and my ATV is 48" - definitely wont be riding it onto the trailer,and there wont be much storage space in there either. :eek:

For some reason, I was thinking that the trailer was a little bigger all the way around (taller, wider, longer) - I may need to rethink this project.

Thanks!

JR2980

Interested in seeing what you are building post up your build.

I'm still in the "research & come up with crazy ideas" phase, but I will definitely post up if/once I pull the trigger.

Thanks for the pictures - I had only seen the low racks before. Thats pretty much exactly what I want to do, except I don't need livable space in the trailer itself, and I want the rack to be removable somehow so that I can store the rack/tent when not using it.

Thanks!

JR2980

I can venture out today and get a measurement between the brake levers. But you'll need to build a custom box most likely. Or you might use some ammo can.

I replied to you earlier, but apparently a mod needs to review that post before its available (I think because I included the links that you sent, and I'm not special enough yet to get to post links).

I did read the TM, but was unable to find specific info.

I would greatly appreciate if you could measure between the brake handles on the front.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perfect - that's exactly what I needed.

Wow - I'll definitely be cutting it close. Bed length is 96", and my ATV is 93"; interior height is 49 1/4", and my ATV is 48" - definitely wont be riding it onto the trailer,and there wont be much storage space in there either. :eek:

For some reason, I was thinking that the trailer was a little bigger all the way around (taller, wider, longer) - I may need to rethink this project.

Thanks!
Another thing to consider is the inside width between the fenders. It's only 45". My golf cart won't fit in there. The M101A3 has 55" in there and it fits fine in the A3. If you need more space you may consider putting the M105A2 box on the M101A2 frame (M116A2). The box has extra width, an extra foot in length and increased height. All this comes at the cost of increased weight.

JR2980

Another thing to consider is the inside width between the fenders. It's only 45". My golf cart won't fit in there. The M101A3 has 55" in there and it fits fine in the A3. If you need more space you may consider putting the M105A2 box on the M101A2 frame (M116A2). The box has extra width, an extra foot in length and increased height. All this comes at the cost of increased weight.

Good point - I didn't even look at the width. Definitely a deal killer since my ATV width is 47 1/2", so I'll probably need to look at either the A3 or the M105.

Gross weight for the M101A2 is right around 2800#, and I believe the payload is around 1500# - I'm guessing pretty close to the same for the A3.

800# for my ATV, plus another 350-400# for the rack/tent, only leaves me with 300# or so to play with from a storage standpoint. Not sure what the weight difference is for the M105 bed, but putting that on the A2 would probably chew that up and leave me with no storage.

I may just need to look at the A3 or the M105 trailer - will be towing with either an F250 6.0PSD, or an Excursion with the same 6.0PSD motor. Will have to do some research to see if they can tow the M105 or not.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Any suggestions are appreciated - you all know WAY more about these trailers and what they're capable of that I do. Also, if anyone has an M101A3 in or near MD that you just cant live with anymore, let me know - I'm looking to give one a good home! :D

Thanks!

SteveKuhn

If you consider a 105, with your truck you'll be smart to pay the extra $ for an A3 to get the surge brakes. They come up occasionally at auction, and are a tad pricier when bought privately. I think there are some modified trailers available not too far from you in the classifieds. Worth checking out. I thought they were cool and would probably prefer them over stock for what you're doing.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?117741-Custom-M105A3-Trailers-for-CUCVs-amp-Pickup

Steve

JR2980

If you consider a 105, with your truck you'll be smart to pay the extra $ for an A3 to get the surge brakes. They come up occasionally at auction, and are a tad pricier when bought privately. I think there are some modified trailers available not too far from you in the classifieds. Worth checking out. I thought they were cool and would probably prefer them over stock for what you're doing.

Steve

Thanks for the input.

I actually found a guy here locally that is selling an A3 - Says its a '97 M101A3, converted to 12V, new safety chains, tires in good shape, and comes with a spare, all bows and a cover, and the parking and surge brakes all work correctly, and it has a clear title. He's asking 1400 for it.

What do you guys think - seems a little high to me, but it seems like A2's on GL in this area are going for close to or over $1K.

I was hoping to only spend about $1K, but if I buy a trailer from GL, convert the electrical, title it, etc, I'm gonna be spending more than that, so it may make sense to get one that has that work already done (and its an A3 to boot).

Not sure what to do.

SteveKuhn

Not sure if we're talking past each other on 'A3'. I was referring to an M105A3. That's what's in the link I posted. Much more bed, and the racks/bows/etc are fairly cheap. 101 anything is pricey compared to 105 anything. What you posted is somewhere in the market.

Steve

JR2980

Not sure if we're talking past each other on 'A3'. I was referring to an M105A3. That's what's in the link I posted. Much more bed, and the racks/bows/etc are fairly cheap. 101 anything is pricey compared to 105 anything. What you posted is somewhere in the market.

Steve

Sorry for the confusion -

I did notice that the link you sent me was for the 105's, and while I'd like the extra bed space, I'd have to put a fair bit of money into it to get brakes (unless there's some cheap way to convert the air over hydraulics to be compatible with my civi truck. I'm not sure that I want (or that its safe) to be pulling 4,000+# without trailer brakes.

Seems like the 101A3 would be a better deal for me as it would have the surge brakes, and be wide/tall/long enough (though just barely) for my ATV. I would be pushing the GVW though....

M105 would be best for my situation, but I don't really have the money to put into it to get it to that point - the M101A3would just barely work for my situation, but wouldn't require as much money.

What to do....what to do.....decisions, decisions

Thanks!

SteveKuhn

I don't wanna beat a dead horse but those are lowered M105A3s with surge brakes, built for a pickup or suburban. Take a look closely at the photos of the front. The cost of the base trailer is almost the same as the 101A3. I'd guess about $500 more for everything involved if you buy MV parts and loads less if you build from scratch. And you'll have oodles of capacity above the 101.

I have both trailers and if my 105s had surge brakes . . .

Here's a Mule in my 105 for perspective.

Steve

Attachments

JR2980

I don't wanna beat a dead horse but those are lowered M105A3s with surge brakes, built for a pickup or suburban. Take a look closely at the photos of the front. The cost of the base trailer is almost the same as the 101A3. I'd guess about $500 more for everything involved if you buy MV parts and loads less if you build from scratch. And you'll have oodles of capacity above the 101.

I have both trailers and if my 105s had surge brakes . . .

Here's a Mule in my 105 for perspective.

Steve

Sorry - my reading comprehension sucks today (my wife would argue that it sucks every day, but.....) - I completely missed the line about the surge brakes.

Those just became MUCH more interesting! I PM'd the owner - have a question about the tires, and title.

Thanks!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M105A3 with surge brakes is a very viable option. Also, the M101A3 (unless cobbled together from parts) is a 1 ton trailer. I took the HMMWV tires and rims off mine to make the height more manageable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks