• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Hitch question

koolex11

Question though, why should they be crossed? I've read safety chains should be crossed, just never heard why they should be crossed.
You cross the chains so they lock and the trailer doesn't sway (violently) left and right should the hitch fail. It keeps they trailer straight while you attempt to pull over. Very important with a heavy load and it is the law everywhere I know. You can get fined if your chains aren't crossed.

Mad Dog 20/20

I'd be a little cautious on that one. It weighs 13 lbs, seems the shank is not solid. It's hollowed out for the cushioning device.

The model that Northern Tool sells features a solid shank, and overall weight is 24 lbs.

I'm definitely no expert on this stuff, just an observation.
Ended up going w/ a solid shank version similar to yours. Had to pick up the m101a2 yesterday from Ft. Meade and the cushioned hitch was not here yet. The trailer tows like its not even there. No need for a cushion, so will return it when it arrives.

quickfarms

koolex11 do you have the citation for the crossing of the chains?

The California vehicle code does not specify that the chains should be crossed.

California V C Section 29003 Hitch Coupling Device or Connection or Tow Dolly

Hitch, Coupling Device or Connection, or Tow Dolly

29003. (a) Every hitch or coupling device used as a means of attaching the towed and towing vehicles shall be properly and securely mounted and be structurally adequate for the weight drawn. The mounting of the hitch or coupling device on the towing and towed vehicle shall include sufficient reinforcement or bracing of the frame to provide sufficient strength and rigidity to prevent undue distortion of the frame.
(b) The drawbar, tongue, or other connection between the towing and towed vehicles shall be securely attached and structurally adequate for the weight drawn.
(c) The raised end of any motor vehicle being transported by another motor vehicle using a tow dolly shall be secured to the tow dolly by two separate chains, cables, or equivalent devices adequate to prevent shifting or separation of the towed vehicle and the tow dolly.

Fudge0514

Ended up going w/ a solid shank version similar to yours. Had to pick up the m101a2 yesterday from Ft. Meade and the cushioned hitch was not here yet. The trailer tows like its not even there. No need for a cushion, so will return it when it arrives.
Looks like you got lucky and have a better setup now! Congrats on the new trailer. They aren't too heavy so they tend to pull pretty well.

koolex11

29003. (a) Every hitch or coupling device used as a means of attaching the towed and towing vehicles shall be properly and securely mounted and be structurally adequate for the weight drawn. The mounting of the hitch or coupling device on the towing and towed vehicle shall include sufficient reinforcement or bracing of the frame to provide sufficient strength and rigidity to prevent undue distortion of the frame.
(b) The drawbar, tongue, or other connection between the towing and towed vehicles shall be securely attached and structurally adequate for the weight drawn.
(c) The raised end of any motor vehicle being transported by another motor vehicle using a tow dolly shall be secured to the tow dolly by two separate chains, cables, or equivalent devices adequate to prevent shifting or separation of the towed vehicle and the tow dolly.
Ask a trooper next time you see one. I may be wrong, but if there is nothing in the code about it they should definitely update the code. I heard a story of a guy towing a boat over railroad tracks. The trailer tongue popped off, fell to the ground and got stuck in the tracks. The boat then surged forward and ended up in the back window of the tow vehicle, not to mention they were all stuck on the tracks, all because the chains weren't crossed.

flashgordon

Well here is my homemade hitch... i built it for a 16" rise. I pull a m105 with it. i usually haul firewood with it. I have had over 5000 lbs on it, with no issues.(Dont flame me for overloading it! it can handle it!) I like to cross my chains. And I used a solid forged hitch to start with. I am a very good welder and would guarantee that my hitch is better than any factory made in china hitch that i have seen. It will bend my factory tow hitch before it fails. I knew I wouldn't feel good pulling 5k pounds of wood at 75 m.p.h. with one of those. By the way I pull it with a 2010 f-250 powerstroke. I spent $150 on materials and everyone that sees it loves it!
Just my 2 cents.....
-FLASH-

Attachments

Nonotagain

Coupling devices and towing methods, except for driveaway-towaway operations. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

(d) Safety devices in case of tow-bar failure or disconnection. Every full trailer and every converter dolly used to convert a semitrailer to a full trailer must be coupled to the frame, or an extension of the frame, of the motor vehicle which tows it with one or more safety devices to prevent the towed vehicle from breaking loose in the event the tow-bar fails or becomes disconnected. The safety device must meet the following requirements:

(1) The safety device must not be attached to the pintle hook or any other device on the towing vehicle to which the tow-bar is attached. However, if the pintle hook or other device was manufactured prior to July 1, 1973, the safety device may be attached to the towing vehicle at a place on a pintle hook forging or casting if that place is independent of the pintle hook.

(2) The safety device must have no more slack than is necessary to permit the vehicles to be turned properly.

(3) The safety device, and the means of attaching it to the vehicles, must have an ultimate strength of not less than the gross weight of the vehicle or vehicles being towed.

(4) The safety device must be connected to the towed and towing vehicles and to the tow-bar in a manner which prevents the tow-bar from dropping to the ground in the event it fails or becomes disconnected.

jarrettrocksvt

I bent my pintle riser the other day when I was backing my new M101A2 into my driveway. I know for sure I didn't jacknife the trailer. The lunette was bound to the pintle when I tried to unhitch it. Thank goodness NT was good enough to let me return it.

Attachments

Fudge0514

I bent my pintle riser the other day when I was backing my new M101A2 into my driveway. I know for sure I didn't jacknife the trailer. The lunette was bound to the pintle when I tried to unhitch it. Thank goodness NT was good enough to let me return it.
Wow! Guess its not as strong as we thought... did you go for a refund or exchange?

compmaster

Too little too late for me!
I just did the exact same thing; From the description and pictures we could be twins!