• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Hitch Questions

cbbr

I have a M101A2 with a functioning surge brake, but I tow it with an Xterra, so the pintle is a little high. I would rather not use an extension on my reciever because I am afraid of the weight/leverage (may be an unfounded fear BTW). So I am wondering if the surge/pintle can be lowered while keeping the surge functional?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure it can but it will require fabrication. There is no simple adjustments to lower it.

cbbr

Shorter tire?
That would be the easy way, but I don't want to loose the clearance as I actually need it once in a while. I use it as the Boy Scout Gear Hauler - I bring their junk directly to the campsite. I also have a Suburban on 37's that I will use to pull the trailer from time to time.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get the 12" high pintle reciever hitch from Northern Tool, It allows adjustments of the reciever up and down the extension which gives you flexibility for all your vehicles.

Many many SS's use extensions and have no problems. Buy a set of extra military lights for the trailer and then set that set up as 12 volt so that you have both the military and civy light setups if you tow with both vehicles.

harleyhouse

Attachments

cbbr

Get the 12" high pintle reciever hitch from Northern Tool, It allows adjustments of the reciever up and down the extension which gives you flexibility for all your vehicles.

Many many SS's use extensions and have no problems. Buy a set of extra military lights for the trailer and then set that set up as 12 volt so that you have both the military and civy light setups if you tow with both vehicles.
Here is the link for that pintle hook mount, its the same one I use with no problems
Pintle Hook Mount, 12-1/2" Tall, 8K Tow Ready Ball Mounts 63058

Thanks! That looks like the best route. I took the ligts off and ran a 12V LED set to have it titled/get the plate. I have been using it, I just hate the way that it sits.

Last edited:

cbbr

harleyhouse

I do miss the parking brake use,
y surge was torn up and destroyed.
Not worth fixing
I did remove around 150 pounds with
the surge lunette, drumbs, backing plates and brake Hardware.

My trailer weighs in at 1350 pounds, it rides nice at 70MPH and I don't notice it behind the truck;

Terracoma

.....I would rather not use an extension on my reciever because I am afraid of the weight/leverage (may be an unfounded fear BTW).....
I've towed a U-Haul car hauler loaded with two M116A2E1 trailers on a pintle riser plate from Barstow, CA to central New Mexico with no ill effects or damage to the riser... Hitch was installed on a 3rd-generation Toyota 4Runner, so your receiver can't get much lower than mine! :D

I highly recommend the Buyers brand of products, available here (no affiliation, just a loyal customer), as the riser has a solid shank, and is made in the USA.

GREENMV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have my M1009 set up to use riser with pintle for leveling my M101A2 I have no problems with the riser plate. I also can swap to a ball for my other trailers when needed.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adapter

HI I have an M105 that has a piece the shape of the toung under it and a ball hitch toung on that it is just the right hight to tow with a p/u and trailer is level.
You can still tow it with a pintle hitch too,and the ball one will not get in the way.:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks