• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Landing Leg Repair

Tarfu43

The landing leg on my trailer is broken and bent to one side. I want to straighten it and weld it back together. Is the leg made from galvanized steel? What considerations do I need to take into account to weld it? I plan to use a 220v mig welder. Thanks!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While the body is probably galvanized, I don’t think the leg is.
I know the legs on mine are just painted steel.

It might be easier to post in the parts wanted Forum for a good replacement leg.
Check eBay too.
I’ve seen them for sale just recently.

Nothing special about welding that I’m aware of.
Your equipment should be just fine.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you go through too much effort rebuilding it, contact CUCVFAN on this list. He has NOS landing legs for sale fairly cheaply. I believe they are in the classified section, or at least they were. Good luck!

lfhoward

Is this the landing leg you need?

I replaced mine with a version that has a jack and a crank, so the old one you see in this pic is just sitting around collecting dust in my basement.

I’m in PA and I see you’re in MN, so shipping the heavy steel part might be tricky. But I’d be happy to sell it to you if you cover shipping.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you go through too much effort rebuilding it, contact CUCVFAN on this list. He has NOS landing legs for sale fairly cheaply. I believe they are in the classified section, or at least they were. Good luck!
I should have clarified that CUCVFAN has the newer style crank up landing leg with handle...not the older fold down variety. I got one from him a while back and I am very happy.

Tarfu43

Is this the landing leg you need?

I replaced mine with a version that has a jack and a crank, so the old one you see in this pic is just sitting around collecting dust in my basement.

I’m in PA and I see you’re in MN, so shipping the heavy steel part might be tricky. But I’d be happy to sell it to you if you cover shipping.
LFHoward

I'm going to take my leg to the post office tomorrow and see what shipping would be. If it's reasonable, I'll probably take you up on your offer. Thanks!

Tarfu43

LFHoward,

I brought the leg into the post office and they weighed it. They told me $40 should cover it. Less, if you can get it in one of their flat-rate boxes (I tried with the boxes they had and it wouldn’t fit). So, if you still want to get rid of it for shipping costs.......how does $40 sound?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks