• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Lights for Dummies

whiteair

Just picked up my first 101A2. Now I need to get some lights on it. I was going to purchase some and mount them, but it seems like original the equipment might be the best way to go.
So if anyone can speak nice and slooooow to an aircraft mechanic who is deathly afraid of anything electrical, can you tell or better yet show me some pics of the easiest way to hook the existing lights to a flat 4 connector to hook to my truck???
Thanks in advance!
I'll even send a nice new Coast Guard shirt out the the person who helps the helpless the best.....
If you are from another branch, you can use it to clean up oil on the garage floor....

13 MIKE

I bought a set of the LED military tail lights off Ebay. Then i spliced into the original plug harness for the civy plug. My Mil plug still works and the LED's don't care about the voltage difference.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
On the "A" arm is where the plug, plugs into. Pull that connection apart and wire in a trailer plug that fits your truck. The bulbs should be 12v.

Barrman

Do you want to spend money on this or just make it work with what you have?

The spend money option is to by a truck side military trailer plug. Usually for around $20 or so online. Then make a 4 flat pigtail to the trailer side military plug. Here is a wriing diagram of what pin does what:

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
somewhere in the classifieds, someone has the mil/civi plug adaptors made up and for sale. With this adaptor, the mil. plug is still used

Barrman

If you don't want to spend money and make the trailer pretty much not usable behind military vehicles anymore. Pull the cover off the junction of the trailer plug harness on the drivers side of the frame in front of the bed. Unplug all the wires. Plug in your 4 flat wires using Packard fittings you can buy or just cut off the Packard fittings on the trailer and crimp in your new wires. Here is the wire numbers and what they do:
M-SERIES VEHICLES CIRCUIT NUMBERS

armadillofz1

here's the chart i used.

Right turn/stop light Green wire - 22-460
Left turn/stop light Yellow wire - 22-461
Tail/markerlights Brown wire - 21
Ground White wire - 90

when you remove the metal cover plate on the trailer, the wires are labelled with aluminum tags . just get some bullet type connectors and a 4-wire plug from napa for 4 bux. swap out bulbs for 12volt ones.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

whiteair

Dillow to the rescue!

I think you dumbed it down to where even I can figure it out, and that's pretty dumb. Ill assume those #'s are in plain view (22-460 461 etc) when I open her up. Just connect the wires, change the bulb and I'm on my way!! sounds to easy to be true.

thanks
If it works, I'll get you that shirt out.
stand-by

here's the chart i used.

Right turn/stop light Green wire - 22-460
Left turn/stop light Yellow wire - 22-461
Tail/markerlights Brown wire - 21
Ground White wire - 90

when you remove the metal cover plate on the trailer, the wires are labelled with aluminum tags . just get some bullet type connectors and a 4-wire plug from napa for 4 bux. swap out bulbs for 12volt ones.

whiteair

Canopy color change?

while I'm on a roll.....Is there any way to change/dye the color of the canopy? It's plain olive drab (no camo) and seems to have a clear sheen covering it. Not regular canvas. Can it be done?

bucksnort59

I bought a 7 wire plug with a 6' cord off sleazebay for $15 shipped and just bullet connected the wires I needed into the existing trailer harness since I have a 7 pin plug on my tow truck. Change out the top 2 bulbs to 12V and you're good to go. I used the 7 wire because in the future I can have a dedicated 12V power source and have back up lights if I choose.

ecupirate

I unplugged the military harness and used bullets for my six pin civilian plug. The wires have little metal tabs with the number that correspond. It is too easy, shouldn't cost you more than some wire and your plug. Don't buy any lights unless you want to spend the money, just put in 12v bulbs and wire in your harness. To easy, good luck.

whiteair

No way.... do they really??? Then again, after sanding my M101A2 down from the unfeathered multiple coats of green, I'd believe it. They must "touch-up" paint them with a garden hose. ....I think it would crack up if I painted the canopy.

whiteair

Round II.. Need more assistance!!

Guys, the quiet lasted about 15 minutes and then the screwdrivers and F-bombs started flying!! :-x:-x:-x:-x:-xThe electrically challenged is in full effect. Here's what I have.

1. To start, the bulb I pulled out has two nipples that are even. The replacement 12v bulbs are offset and won't fit in the holder. Wrong bulb?

2. I have a 4 prong flat harness going back to the trailer. Wire colors are:
White, Green, Yellow, Brown and a Black. Is the black same as a Brown? if so, I'll grab a new one if it helps my stress level.

3. Wires on the trailer do not match some of those you sent. Here's what's on it.
- 22- 460
- 22-461
- 24-463
- 24- 464

my screwdriver thanks you as do my neighbors.....

whiteair

Guys, the quiet lasted about 15 minutes and then the screwdrivers and F-bombs started flying!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:The electrically challenged is in full effect. Here's what I have.

1. To start, the bulb I pulled out has two nipples that are even. The replacement 12v bulbs are offset and won't fit in the holder. Wrong bulb?

White, Green, Yellow, Brown and a Black. Is the black same as a Brown? if so, I'll grab a new one if it helps my stress level.

3. Wires on the trailer do not match some of those you sent. Here's what's on it.
- 22- 460
- 22-461
- 24-463
- 24- 464

Guys, the quiet lasted about 15 minutes and then the screwdrivers and F-bombs started flying!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:The electrically challenged is in full effect. Here's what I have.

- 22- 460
- 22-461
- 24-463
- 24- 464

Armadillo,
I just followed up on the M101A2 wiring job if you want to take a look at it. Can you assist? the wire #'s (90) are not on my trailer and the bulbs I put in do not fit. Help!!!! thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:roll: Post # 8 was your simplest choice. $30 and 30 minutes, no thinking needed.

whiteair

But I'd like to keep the original look. Plus I have spare bulbs and a four flat in the garage. Thats as cheap as it gets.... just like me....lol