• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 lunette assembly broken bolt

ultim8gamr

I was loading my new M101A2 with firewood when I noticed the tongue starting to fail. It appears that the two from bolts that hold the lunette assembly had sheared. Anyways, here's what it not looks like. I have looked through the TM and will try and get new bolts installed soon so i can use it. The bummer is that this was just rebuilt in 07 at red river army depot. I guess some things were overlooked...
Just seems weird that there would be enough force so shear both front bolts and leave the back ones unharmed... Has anyone else had this problem?M101A2 tongue.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen several that had those front bolts missing or loose.

None with broken bolts.

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

Are they sheared or missing? When I picked my M116A1 trailer up from GL earlier this year, the front two bolts were completely missing. I had to pull off the whole surge brake unit and attaching bracket to install new bolts and split-lock washers. Re-assembled and bled the brakes. I knew something was amiss when the surge brake unit was painted rattle can red.

coyotegray

Look at it this way. You found this out the best way you could and not while slamming on your brakes to keep from hitting someone.. Could have been bad.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are reasons why Uncle Sam surpluses stuff. Its often "poor reasoning" to think that you have purchased something that is good and useable!.

KsM715

Im selling one of my M101a2's to my boss for the sole purpose of hauling firewood. Guess I'd better check that tongue over real well before I deliver it. Thanks.

coyotegray

Ok. I picked up two M101a2's today in Oklahoma City.

One was in very good condition, new paint, bows, etc..

Once I got it home I started looking it over. Because of this thread I noticed that two of the surge break mounting bolts were lose (One in front and one in back) and a third didn't even have the nut. The ones that were lose I could remove with my fingers. Only one in front was tight.

The bows are metal and new. I thought one was broken but it was just not bolted together. The washers and bolts were in the bed.

I'm thinking that a gov. contractor hired to refurbish these just did a crappie job. Looks like Ill need to go over it in detail...

Andy..

ultim8gamr

There are some from the rear bolts that are bent to **** now that I can use as a reference, but the front were broken when I got it. Everything else seems to check out so it's a bit odd where the damage came from.

86m1028

There are some from the rear bolts that are bent to **** now that I can use as a reference, but the front were broken when I got it. Everything else seems to check out so it's a bit odd where the damage came from.

Glad to see you caught it before something bad happened.

Am I the only one who likes the SIMPLE a1 style ? K.I.S.S !!!

TIGERFANS2

IIRC, they were 1/2" NC, grade 5. Length I don't remember. I took the whole landing leg assembly off and installed the bolts while it was up-side-down.
1/2 X 20
Grade 8
1.125" nominal length

now,
dumb question, what do the bolts that screw in from the bottom screw inTO??
Fig. 10 doesn't show and there's only 2 #17's in the parts list

steelandcanvas

1/2 X 20
Grade 8
1.125" nominal length

now,
dumb question, what do the bolts that screw in from the bottom screw inTO??
Fig. 10 doesn't show and there's only 2 #17's in the parts list
They screw into the bottom of the master cylinder/surge brake assembly, right up front where the rails narrow down. Very difficult access unless you remove the surge brake and landing leg assembly from the frame. Glad you found the correct nomenclature for the bolts.

TIGERFANS2

mine are both still there, this weekend I'll see if I can get something on them to see how tight they are, it Looks like there's barely enough access to at least tighten them

coyotegray

The front ones are not that hard to tighten if they are there.
They will not turn on the inside so just get a wrench on them from underneath and tighten.

If they are missing you will need to disassemble a good part of the surge brake assembly to get to them. Start with removing the master cylinder.

Andy..

Scarecrow1

Man thats what I call luck .....I was reading this post and thought how lucky it is to be a member of the site ....You see I am waiting to pick up my new 101A1 next month (I Hope )And the one thing I didn't think of was the problem with the bolts ...thanks for the post gamer...Your post looks like it may have saved someone problems down the road ...I will make sure to ck the bolts when I pick up mine ....[thumbzup]

steelandcanvas

Tightening the front bolts if they are in place, doesn't present too much of a problem. Attempting to install the bolts if they are missing, that's another story. As I've said in a previous post, my solution was to remove the surge brake and landing leg assembly, turn it up-side-down and install the bolts where you can see what you're doing, and re-assemble.

goodguyzy

maybe they were over torqued and adding some weight finally put to much stress on them. thanks for the heads up, someday my euc will go through and i will pick up my 101 in fort lewis, wa.