• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101a2 measurement question

Ratch

I need to pick up 2 M101's about 2 hours and change from my house friday.

Anyone have an idea how long these units end up being when they're loaded as tightly as possible? I'm trying to figure out what length trailer to rent.

I plan to have the first one backed on, landing gear up with the lunette directly on the deck, and the second one the same way, backed as tightly up to the first as possible.

Thanks for any info!

Last edited:

ralbelt

Why don't you flip one on top of the other, put a wooden stake in the corner pockets and lash them down, Providing where you pick them up will load with a fork lift and you can access one to unload.

Ratch

Why don't you flip one on top of the other, put a wooden stake in the corner pockets and lash them down, Providing where you pick them up will load with a fork lift and you can access one to unload.

I'd love to, it'll save me a couple bucks and a lot of logistics to do that.
But I already talked to the site manager about it, he will not flip one for me. If I flip it, he'll lift it onto the other one, but I'm not confident in my ability to flip it alone safely.
I have a winch on the borrowed truck I'm using for recovery and I thought about using it to flip one, but trying to do that with no experience and a busy guy standing there waiting for me is just not something I want to futz around with.

It's far enough away that I don't want to try it without a backup plan, and flatbed trailer is my backup plan, so I might as well just go with that from the start.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is good thinking Ratch. Better to be safe. The Guy you talked to may not be there on base to help you with the lift.

You can load them both with some chain and "come-along's", by your self. Best to be safe.

Rthomas

I would use the 16 foot. I would just load them on a trailer. Easier to unload and load. I have done this twice.

Ratch

Finding a rental trailer is turning out to be a little more difficult than I expected... It looks like Uhaul is going to be my best bet.

Any forum members in the Chester County PA area have a trailer I could rent for this? :razz:

Ratch

Just to update, recovery went great. I borrowed/rented Randy's 18' trailer and GL loaded it nice and gently. I walked them off the trailer by hand and at the end of the day, smiled at having no damage, no injuries, and no bail needing to be posted...

[thumbzup][thumbzup]