• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 or M101A3 - Need Advice

Triumph

Looking for a off-road/utility trailer that is much tougher than your run-of-the-mill trailer. I have been looking at the M101A2 or A3. The differences that I am familiar with are the wheels, axle and load capacity.

I will be using the trailer for 2 hour trips to the lease. At the lease we usually bring back a cord + of firewood. The combination of the off road and weight has destroyed my current 5x9 trailer.

Any advice on the purchase of a M101A2 or M101A3 would be appreciated.

I also need advice on where to find a nice one. Fully outfitted with rails, bows and tarp would be nice.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I prefer the M101A3 as it has a wider span between the inner fender wells. You can always take the 37" tires off if you like. Shop Ebay, the classifieds here or (sigh) GL. If that inner fenderwell span makes a difference, search the many threads here with pics and become familiar with the bodies as some GL sites market the trailers as A3s because of the tires when they have A2 bodies.

Pinz25086

I have a A2 and love it. It will haul what you can load and pulls great behind a 3/4 ton pick up. Can not speak about the A3. It was set up for H-1 and the track width and height are set up for it. Either way, I do not think that you will be disappointed.

Wayne

storeman

I have both and towed each of them several hundred miles behind a chevy 1/2 ton crew cab 4wd. Both tow beautifully. I prefer the 101a3 because of 55" between wheel wells and increased weight capacity of 1 ton. added width does nothing to towing visibility. 37" hmmwv wheels and tires will come off this spring and be replaced by the wheels and tires on the a2 so the trailer rides more level. even with a raised pintle hitch, the 37" tires caused the trailer to ride about 2" low at the hitch.

Robert Denton

Hi Guys,
Thank you all for your responses. It's very helpful. Please excuse any mistakes as I am learning more and more every time I navigate the site. It's great getting such quick responses.

Thanks again

Bob

Last edited:

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get an A2.... there cheaper, wheels and tires are available everywhere,
A3 tires/wheels are over twice the weight of A2's.
A2's are available at Gov. Liquidation, and come up for bid at Bowie Hooks/Texarkana base sometimes. There is 6 available at that base.
Greg

goodguyzy

i agree, i have an A2. I load it with hardwood and still pulls great. Running 16" wheels and smaller tires to help out with the leveling with my 1/2 ton pickup. I agree price on a A2 is cheaper even though they also fetch a good price.

Nonotagain

I've got both the M116A3 and the M101A3 trailers and was able to subsidize the purchase with the sale of the A3 HMWVV tires and wheels to someone that wanted them.

I like the wider cargo body, the racks and the raised axle that the A3 has as well as the increased weight capacity.

I wouldn't turn an A2 down if the price was right, but when I bought my trailers I couldn't find an A2 in my area and had to do my recovery from Florida.

Patience is a virtue, which my Dad didn't have at the time since he is the primary user.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't say no to either one of these trailers. If tire size is a concern, you can always swap to A2 rubber but the one thing you can't do (affordably) is stretch the distance between the inner fenders from 45" (A2) to 55" (A3). You can't lay a 4x8 sheet of plywood on the deck of the A2 and you can't drop an S250 shelter in either. If you're concerns and needs don't require that extra width inside, the A2 can't be beat. The only height difference between the 2 is by virtue of the tires!

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anyone decides to get an A3 for the inner fender width.....The first A3's are A2 converts....they added fender extensions, swapped axles, and swapped the landing leg with a crank-up one.....So look at them closely{ A3's }...the one that has a one piece fender that is wider in the bed is the later models.
When I went to DRMO to pickup my A2, and A3, most of the 30+ A3's were converts.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I added an extra spring leaf to the springs of the A2 (the U-bolts are long enough to do that without changing them out). It will haul anything you can put in it.

*IMPORTANT* When shopping, be sure that it has a licensed title, or the SF 97 ("standard form" 97 request for title), that allows you to title it. Otherwise it can be a nightmare to get tags for it. Some sellers don't bother with that and blow all that off - that can turn into a drag for the buyer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks