• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m101a2 PO had flipped the lunnette ring, problems?

maciej102

New to me m101a2 inspection and repair Photos for show

I had looked at a local m101a2 trailer that the PO owner purchased from GL two years ago. He used it once or twice and had to take care of some titling issues (never got a new IL state title).

Anyways. He straightened everything out. My question however is he decided to flip the lunette ring upside down so that it would tow more level with his truck. Is there any potential problem with the braking system? My guess is if its empty I could just refill and bleed it? He didn't seem to know a whole lot about the trailer. When asked if he was having any jerking or problems with the brakes he denied any problems...maybe because they are not working!

what do you guys think. It is otherwise really nice looking with good newer rubber and a spare tire and wheels, tarp, bows, and side skirts. Plate is dated Sept 200713092075_275922952749842_7705050217093784023_n.jpg

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hard to tell in the pictures, but is the brake line hooked up to the rear of the master cyl? I also can not see how it could have brake fluid as it would all run out and that is why you do not have brakes.

Does it have a master cylinder cap? There is 2 different styles, slobber tube/hose or a mushroom cap. If you are missing, PM as I have an extra for sale.

maciej102

I didn't take a good look at it to tell about the cap or how it is disconnected etc. First time I saw it the weather was pouring outside. Second time I came to take a good look and buy it I found out he still had his GL title with his signature. Heard back from him today and its all set to go. The trailer is really clean id say 95% and tires are nice. I haven't found much for sale locally so I want to jump on this even if it needs some work.

Besides hooking it up for a short drive around the block and checking the hubs for heat I should ok right?

He has it wired to 7 pin which fit his truck but I am just going to swap it back to 4 flat to go onto my jeep.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bearings and hub usually run cool and use regular civy stuff. Not bad to check temps but I have 3 of them and they all pull and tow like a dream and cool.

Check tire air pressure.

Might assume lights are bad and just bring a harbor freight magnetic cheapie set. I find the led set they sell for a few more $ is a much better light.

MarcusOReallyus

Glad that's coming off. While many people get away with using these as a dump trailer, it's not designed for thta, and the angles are wrong. You risk breaking the pivot points. Many have done so.

maciej102

Glad that's coming off. While many people get away with using these as a dump trailer, it's not designed for thta, and the angles are wrong. You risk breaking the pivot points. Many have done so.
One of the hand brake cables is busted but he is including two extra spares he purchased along with it

maciej102

Well got some more stuff done on the trailer this past weekend. Removed the cylinder. They had mounting points between the A frame and at the top of the box. The seller did not do it, this came from the government this way.

After getting the mud off the tires They had lots of cracking between the thread. They were like new but I am taking this trailer across country. Got some new E rated 225/75r16 tires fairly cheap. It lowered the trailer a few inches. Just enough to make it clear very easily on my wrangler.

I also flipped the lunette and will be searching for a master cylinder. PO said he left it on there but it definitely was not attached when I brought it home. Hopefully he finds it.

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well got some more stuff done on the trailer this past weekend. Removed the cylinder. They had mounting points between the A frame and at the top of the box. The seller did not do it, this came from the government this way.

After getting the mud off the tires They had lots of cracking between the thread. They were like new but I am taking this trailer across country. Got some new E rated 225/75r16 tires fairly cheap. It lowered the trailer a few inches. Just enough to make it clear very easily on my wrangler.

I also flipped the lunette and will be searching for a master cylinder. PO said he left it on there but it definitely was not attached when I brought it home. Hopefully he finds it.

Parts are available at Croft Trailer.
http://www.crofttrailer.com/hydro-act-brake-actuator-parts/

Breakdown attached

Attachments

maciej102

Parts are available at Croft Trailer.
http://www.crofttrailer.com/hydro-act-brake-actuator-parts/

Breakdown attached
Thank you!

I was suppose to hear back from the PO today about the missing cylinder. Since I did not I will assume he doesn't have it. I know you offered a new cap earlier, do you have a military cylinder by chance? Having a black cylinder on the all green trailer is going to drive me kinda nuts. I may just get some CARC paint and redo the cylinder and redo the front landing leg and chains.

maciej102

I probably have one, how quick do you need it?

I would like to get it in within 2 weeks.

I have the brake line with the special connector but not the copper O-rings or the banjo bolt either. I could always get those separately or if you have those also I would grab that from you as well.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen some debate on the two different style vented caps, one better than the other? I would think having a big tube would let in too much moisture.
I am not really sure but I have seen both styles on m101a2/3. Many of the other military trailers like the M105,M1061,M149,M1073,m200 etc use slobber tubes and I have never seen any of those with the mushroom style cap. I suspect if it worked for the military for many years it should be ok. I do know they spec dot 5 silicone brake fluid and it ability not to absorb moisture/water so that might be the reason the military is not concerned with moisture when using silicone brake fluid. Dot 3/4 are glycol based and will absorb moisture!