• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Rebuild

thisbenguy

Just finished restoring my 1962 M101A2. Been a long time lurker and thanks to everyone who posted in the past to give me much needed information. Thought you all might like to see the finished product.

Before
20120827-iPhone-IMG_0680.jpg

I picked up the trailer a few years ago from Ft. Meade. Shortly after that I used an orbital sander and removed what paint and rust I could and painted her with a primer. After a couple years this began to deteriorate rapidly due to to me not getting down to bare metal. At that point I also used whatever the DIY bed liner stocked by Pep Boys. The vast majority of this held up, but there were still some effected spots. All the work I did was solo and without any lifts or chains... Give me a lever big enough...

20130730_121608.jpg
20130731_114501.jpg
20130731_114517.jpg
20130731_114526.jpg
20130731_173418.jpg
20130731_173426.jpg
A nice break after a hard day.
20130731_175736.jpg

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice job made doubly difficult by not having a shop or garage to work out of. Looks like it should last awhile now.

harleyhouse

Nice work on the trailer.
I see there is one other member that works in their front yard.
How did your neighbors like that?

I weld and fab in my front yard due to the fact I have no garage.
like a show to all of my street. They stop and see what I am doing and ask lots of questions.
I am the go to guy in the neighborhood for project advice.
The trailer is parked in the drive way but is washed weekly and looks better than most cars on my block.
Being brite RED people take notice.

gungearz

Nice front yard restoration... I could only imagine how that would go if I still lived in Chicago... been there before... the actual fun came when it started to rain, we had to push everything in the gangway...

thisbenguy

Thanks, The neighbors don't seem to mind, or at least they don't tell me. A couple times a year I collect the yard waste from everyone on the block to dispose of and clean up all the limbs after storms (more for the fact of once I break out the chainsaw cutting twenty limbs is way more fun than two). I feel like this grants me some leeway.

John Galt

Nice restoration. I went black on my trailer as well.

Most of the work was done in my drive and the neighbors enjoyed watching and seeing the progress. Once it is complete I will probably park it on the street so all of the curious people can take a closer look.

i-FLBJbfX-M.jpgi-s2Q5Jpb-M.jpg

John Galt

The stock pins and cables were a no go in my book. At highway speeds the chains would beat up the trailer and slowly work the pins out. Of course there was no option for holding the tailgate level.

My goals were to:

- Have the tailgate cable and pins separate so there would be no chance of someone dropping the tailgate and denting it further than it already is.

- Hold the tailgate level in the default state and be strong enough to support a few people sitting on it.

- Retain the option of lowering the tailgate completely.

This is what I came up with:

Bent some 1/4" bar into a U shape then welded to each side of the tailgate. Used 3/16 coated cable and a threaded link.

Used 1/2" hitch pins to hold the tailgate closed. These will also serve as an attachment points for awning supports in the future..... Still need to attach a thin cable to the hitch pin and lock pin so they do not get lost.

i-XzZ32g8-M.jpgi-SNRcbnK-M.jpgi-sq6gbNg-M.jpgi-HM7X5Qj-M.jpgi-7Wmh39H-M.jpgi-cQ6MjfF-M.jpg

Last edited:

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind of cigar was that?

Nice job on the trailer!

Mine new A2

20130821_173049.jpg

Last edited:

thisbenguy

@John Galt: Ah, the old weld a U Bolt trick. If only I had a welder... and knew how to weld. It's definitely on the list. Once I get a garage I'll take a class on it. Brakes and bearing are on the list for tomorrow. Had to work the last couple days so it needed to be put off.

@MarkM: It was an Acid 1400. My personal favorite. Your trailer looks sharp... Way less rusty than mine was.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just finished up the adjustable lunette unit today...20130821_173033.jpg

$(KGrHqJ,!qQFG+yNbcecBR5vTIbl-!~~60_12.jpg

How about one of these? 20130821_200628.jpg Been saving a few of these for years

Last edited: