• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m101a2 recovery

Today was my first trailer pickup at letterkenny army depot. I will have to say it went without a hitch. The GL people were very helpful in the office and loading. I couldnt have asking for a better trailer even paying 350. The tires have never seen the road, E brake cables brand new as the is the whole hrydo assembly. Great recovery 450 miles with stops in 10 hrs.

Attachments

3dAngus

Very nice. Congratulations.

I seem to get better trailering results on the M105s with the tongue on the ground, or landing gear up. I realize this is a M101A2, but you may graduate upwards to the big brother some day, and thought I would throw that in there for next time. There is less bounce and a better ride with the lower center of gravity. When I carry two M101A2s on the same trailer, I do the same thing.
Welcome to the green addiction!

Nonotagain

Nice trailer, especially with the A3 landing gear.

Your flatbed doesn't look to shabby either.

Time for some bling on the A2?

Last edited:

thtrev2001

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We just picked one up for our Scout Troop about 3 months ago. It was in similar shape, no rust, new tires, bows and tarp in great shape. I pulled it 2 weeks ago for a scout camp, about 1000 miles behind a Titan pickup, both the trailer and truck were loaded. It pulled great the whole way, no problems. Its a great trailer.

koolex11

Nice trailer. Love those tires, new brake actuator. I went down and checked that trailer out during the auction. Ended up getting another one because they had so many for sale. A couple of them went for 270 that day! Sorry guys mine is already gone and I never even took a picture...going to pick up another one tomorrow, and this one will be my camper build I think.

hwcurtice

You didn't actually tow it with the tarp on it, did you? It's just there for the picture, right?

I'm just thinking of all the other threads that say, if you're going to tow it empty, take the tarp off for less wind resistance.

Nice looking trailer even so.

Preacherboy

Web site says they will only load a flat bed, did you load that trailer yourself or did they load it up for you anyway?

Just curious because I bought 4 the other day, and I might have to flip 2 over and stack them on top of each other and curious if they would do that for me or not. I had a 22" flat bed all lined up to use and then the guy sold it! Now I am frantically searching for something else that will work, or I will use an 18' car hauler and flip them over.

koolex11

Web site says they will only load a flat bed, did you load that trailer yourself or did they load it up for you anyway?

Just curious because I bought 4 the other day, and I might have to flip 2 over and stack them on top of each other and curious if they would do that for me or not. I had a 22" flat bed all lined up to use and then the guy sold it! Now I am frantically searching for something else that will work, or I will use an 18' car hauler and flip them over.
Preach,

I asked the GL attendant in PA about flipping. His answer was "I won't flip it, but you can." He was worried about getting blamed for damage. It might pay to make a phone call to your local guy. If you're allowed, perhaps you have seen Ratch's post on clever ideas/tools for flipping trailers (search M101 recovery kit"). If you have never done it you might want to PM him and pick his brain because he has flipped them.

3dAngus

I don't recommend flipping trailers. It's dangerous. There are enough issues you may have with trailering multiple trailers at once without creating some by flipping. If it shifts, you're not going to be able to pick it up on the road and get it back on there. And on trailering,it becomes top heavy. You are getting close to max load by putting a M101 on top of another, yet, it will have a higher center of gravity than called for. Please be careful.

Preacherboy

OP, did the GL guy load your trailer even though it isn't a flat bed?

My pickup is Monday, so noboby run off with any of my stuff!

Although, 1 of my trailers has a camo cover and the trailer is tan...I'd trade my camo cover for a tan one!

Preacherboy, They loaded on the car trailerfor me, but they dont wait around if your not ready they will not wait. Outside the gate you can do anything you want. They just want to stick to their list and times. Beware a guy that taking his lunch break stated that he has heard people being booted until next day for not being on time or prepared. I was on my toes so only behind the gates for about 10 mins. Ive seen 4 on a car trailer , search it out. Good luck and polite. It worked for me!:D

Preacherboy

He will have to give us time to remove tarps and bows and side racks, otherwise no way we would be able to fit them all. That or we roll them up on the trailer by ourselves somehow.

Will they let you in early to start the process of taking off the tarps, bows, racks?

Preacherboy, They dont let you in until its your appt. time. I was an hr early and had to wait. Just stand at gate at your appt. time . they will bring the trailers to you at the spot they tell you to park at . Then you have time to strip down . just be polite and let the girl inside know your plans because she runs the show! good luck

dubois9837

Recovery at chambersburg

I picked up my M101A2 from Letterkenny on Thursday ( 08/11/11 ). It was my first GL purchase and I am pretty happy with the trailer I got for $276. I rented a UHaul car hauler to tow it home ( 3 1/2 hour drive ) and the set up worked well. Had to add some plywood and boards on the Uhaul crossbeams so the trailer tongue would be secured. Not a ideal set up but it only cost $55 to rent.
I thought the people at Letterkenny were pretty nice. The forklift operator did a good job and didn't cause any damage to the trailer during loading - something alot of people complain about at other sites. Would not hesitate to make another purchase there.

I think we have accounted for 12 of the trailers ( if my math is right ) in this thread. If my memory is correct, I think there was only around 15 trailers in the auction total. It's a small world!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks