• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m101a2 shocks

hwcurtice

Does anyone have a part number to cross reference civilian shocks for the m101a2 trailers?

i want to go to the local parts store and pick up a couple to replace one bent one, compliments of the base where I got it from, and figured I'd replace both at the same time.

Figured I'd go to either NAPA or O'Rielly.

elkay12

i used Rancho RS5006 got them at O'reilly for 114.19 including tax / and i used existing mounts / had to drill rubber on shock to make it fit stud

motorpoolmonkey

hwcurtice, what did you end up using for shocks? mine suffer from the same forklift drivers abuse and need to be replaced. any help would be apriciated, thanks.

motorpoolmonkey

hwcurtice, what did you end up using for shocks? mine suffer from the same forklift drivers abuse and need to be replaced. any help would be apriciated, thanks.

DAP

Mine are not shot so I don't want to take them off so I would be interested in the number when you get one. Thank you.

motorpoolmonkey

well, here is one way to get it done, first you cut the eye's off the bent shocks and get yourself a set of rear shocks for a 1990 toyota 2wd truck as these are the correct length. then you cut the eye of the new shocks at the 8'oclock and 4'oclock position, then weld the old eyes onto the new shocks, use a wet towl wraped on the oil filled side of the shock so the heat does not damage the shock. weld a little and let it cool . here are some pictures of the project including the part#

Attachments

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just called summit racing and spent an hour on the phone, I ordered 2 western chassis pn wst-55811. They were 106 total. They have a 12 inch compressed to 18.1 travel matches almost dead on. I am picking up tommorrow on the way to Florida.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just picked up the shocks, they have a steel insert that is to small to fit the shock mounts. I am going to try and punch out the insert and see if I can get out. More to come

ttrr63

Please let me know if you find a pair. NAPA was no help. Neither was Monroe which made the originals. I got three cross overs, none of which are available at any of the parts stores I tried. Leaving for Alaska on July 18.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not think there is a direct bolt on, I have not yet punched out the new ones I got from Summitt, part number referenced earlier but the problem with the newer shocks is the fact that todays standard shocks have a metal bushing that is to small to mount on the mounting stud on the trailer. So you can get shocks with the correct specs on travel but will have to deal with the fact that the steel bushing has to come out and resuse the old rubber from your old shocks.

Stillmotion

I do not think there is a direct bolt on, I have not yet punched out the new ones I got from Summitt, part number referenced earlier but the problem with the newer shocks is the fact that todays standard shocks have a metal bushing that is to small to mount on the mounting stud on the trailer. So you can get shocks with the correct specs on travel but will have to deal with the fact that the steel bushing has to come out and resuse the old rubber from your old shocks.
Let me know how this goes for you. I just realized one of my shocks has some damage.

five0h

How far off in size is the new metal sleeves? Meaning are they close enough to be reamed out?

G I JOE

The Monroe 66413 is the closest shock I have found to the original. The extended (18.75"), collapsed (11.75"), and travel length (7.0") are all within 1/2" according to the dimensions I measured from one of my M101A2 shocks. Both ends have the L3 loop mount without the steel sleeve measuring 3/4" ID X 1-9/16 wide. I have not physically measured or seen one of the Monroe shocks. These dimensions were taken from the Monroe shock catalog.

Joe