• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A3 brake help

KsM715

Yep. Its just a piece of tubing bent in a "U" with a rubber hose pointing to the ground.

Edit: pic added. This is from a M105 but its the same thing.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ratch

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but just wondering about this.

I've picked up a few trailers that had breather or vent-caps instead of tubes.

Anyone know why they used different vent styles, and which is superior? I can't figure out what the more recent style is, seems like trailer age makes no difference.

I thought the vent-cap was better...mostly 'cause there's no tube waiting to get sheared...

KsM715

I have the vent cap on mine. It looks like this trailer was refurbished at one point, (new brake handles and a patch welded in alont the front of the box where they usually rust thru) So Im guessing the vent cap may be a newer item.

I had another one (that I sold) that has a vent cap and it was smashed flat by something. (fork lift I'm sure) It was smashed so bad that the sides of the cap were bent over the master cylinder making it very hard to remove and replace. The vent tube looks like an easy 5 min fix.

coyotegray

The purpose is for expansion.

If the breaks are use enough it will cause the fluid to heat up enough to cause both the air in the reservoir and the fluid to expand causing the breaks to be applied. So, a vent tube allows the expansion or some have a mushroom looking cap that has an expansion chamber inside for the same purpose but in my opinion are better because the system is sealed...

Last edited:

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the M101A2's I seen had the mushroom cap, and A3's had the vent tube/hose.