• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A3 DTY Steel Stakes uprights.

John Galt

Anyone know of a source for stakes that fit in the pockets of an M101A3?

Right now, the best option I am looking at is buying some 2x2 square tubing and removing 1/2" to give a channel that fits.

I want to build a lumber type rack that slips inside the pockets, ideally they would be ~3' taller than the bed rail.

Last edited:

KsM715

I was pulling my trailer this morning and this thread popped into my mind. Why not scrounge around for some used side racks and scavenge the "stakes" off of them. The correct size already, can cut them down to length with simple hand tools and you can weld to them. Check with Glen, ( 91W350 ) he had a bunch of scrap trailers at one point. Might have some laying around. He may be getting more trailers in the near future. (from what I see coming up near him)

PcCruiser

I am picking up a M101A2 trailer with the sides either next week or the week after depending on my schedule. I don't plan on keeping the side rails if you are interested.

51138457_gl_large_thumb.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sadly, just weeks ago I chopped up a set of wood racks and tossed everything. I did do a tool review for the new Hackzall on the project.

3dAngus

I think I have some. Can anyone give me the exact measurements of them. I want to be sure they are the right ones.
It seems I have two different types.

PcCruiser

This trailer looks suspiciously like the one that followed me and my trailer out of RRAD last Thursday.
Probably looks a lot like mine which I will be picking up from RRAD this upcoming Thursday. Same sale...I know all the others looked pretty darn similar. Did you not have a tarp either? I think there 2 or 3 in the sale that didn't have one.

I'll post my own pics once I have it on hand.

themelon

Probably looks a lot like mine which I will be picking up from RRAD this upcoming Thursday. Same sale...I know all the others looked pretty darn similar. Did you not have a tarp either? I think there 2 or 3 in the sale that didn't have one.

I'll post my own pics once I have it on hand.
I got lucky on mine as it has a tarp in I'd rate a 9/10 condition. The trailer overall is near perfect with some of the nipples still on the tires and working brakes. It just looks a bit ratty because 3 of the 17 layers of paint are peeling off. Oh, one of the light assemblies is cracked but should be repairable if I really want to.

All of my work is going to be in re-painting.

Most of them in this sale looked pretty good.

svanhorn

I got lucky on mine as it has a tarp in I'd rate a 9/10 condition. The trailer overall is near perfect with some of the nipples still on the tires and working brakes. It just looks a bit ratty because 3 of the 17 layers of paint are peeling off. Oh, one of the light assemblies is cracked but should be repairable if I really want to.

All of my work is going to be in re-painting.

Most of them in this sale looked pretty good.
If you plan on just doing rattle can paint, mine took 20 cans just for the body.

John Galt

Prototype looks good. This was 14 ga scrap. I will probably make the main rack out of 3/16 and only use a stake in each corner. I am giving some thought to drilling out the spot welds that hold the spring clips inside the pocket then boxing the stake.

i-Mm8ZQTv-M.jpg

i-JzQw8KC-M.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks