• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101a3 overall outside wheel dimension?

papercu

Well from TM 9-2330-202-14&P (found in the Resources section) and assuming it has a M116A3 chassis under it, the TM has it at
Tread .......................81.5 in. (207.01 cm)
Wayne

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And smaller tires won't help because of the axle width to compensate for the HMMWV rolling stock.

RLH

Ouch..I was going to put it on my dual axle trailer to haul it home from Jacksonville next week, but if the outside dimension of the wheels is that big I out of luck.

Looks like I will be taking a set of trailer lights, aircompressor, and some fix-a-flat instead. Oh yeah buy a pintle hitch. Hope the local and state police don't have issues with no tag :oops:

I think the overall height is 81 to 83 inches, but the width from tire to tire is 72 to 73.5 inches. Looking at the data plate and TM online....

thanks for the info never knew there was a tech section

Last edited:

papercu

dual axle trailer
Car hauler type or one with the little sides? I have put one (A1) catawampus on mine or they could turn it over and you carry it that way but you'll need a way to flip it back over when you get home. Wayne

RLH

It has the little sides. I thought It would work but the inside measurement of my trailer is only 73 inches.

From what I gather the data plate does not take into consideration the off-set of the wheels/tires. The trailer is 1996 Pribbs M101a3.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would borrow some 8 lug wheels/tires. I got an M101A3 and M116A3 from JAX (Blount Island) and both trailers had one flat ea. One aired up one had a nice gash on the inner sidewall. I took my car trailer and was prepared to do all the loading. The folks there on the island had different ideas. They sat both trailers on my car trailer and did it with great precision. If you tow it off, you can get it off the island with a flat, they have run flats in them. Here's the thread, http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/38770-got-my-a3-trailers-home.html

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RLH, noticed you are in Palm Beach. Need to borrow a pintle hitch? Also, if they load it on top of your trailer, I can unload it for you. I'm out in the Acreage! You are also welcome to put a measuring stick to mine if you need to.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the overall height is 81 to 83 inches, but the width from tire to tire is 72 to 73.5 inches. Looking at the data plate and TM online....

thanks for the info never knew there was a tech section
I just doublechecked the TM and it does say bed width and track width is 81.5"
Just went out back with a tape and the 81.5 sure looks right!

RLH

RLH, noticed you are in Palm Beach. Need to borrow a pintle hitch? Also, if they load it on top of your trailer, I can unload it for you. I'm out in the Acreage! You are also welcome to put a measuring stick to mine if you need to.
It would great to measure your M101a3 and see what I am up against.

PM sent:smile:

Nonotagain

Winch the 101a3 up onto you car trailer as far as you can, lower the front landing gear, then jack the trailer up and set the axle on a set of jack stands.

Use a chain binder and crank the binder until the trailer won't move.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wench the 101a3 up onto you car trailer as far as you can, lower the front landing gear, then jack the trailer up and set the axle on a set of jack stands.

Use a chain binder and crank the binder until the trailer won't move.
This is assuming 3 things!
1) He has a wench
2) She is willing to ride to JAX with him and
3) She is strong enough to pull a trailer.
:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

Nonotagain

This is assuming 3 things!
1) He has a wench
2) She is willing to ride to JAX with him and
3) She is strong enough to pull a trailer.
:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:
1). Never assume.

2). Spelling of winch is being corrected.

3). Without spelling errors I take it you have nothing to add about loading his new 101a3 onto the smaller trailer? I read your post about loaning him you pintle hitch which is a very admirable thing to do.

I have loaded construction equipment onto trailers that were narrower than the trailer that was to be loaded many times. In my case, I was able to use the hydraulic boom of the tow truck to center the load and allow for blocking of the load in place. Having never been to GL's JAX facility I don't know if they (GL) will load or if you have to load yourself.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

3). Without spelling errors I take it you have nothing to add about loading his new 101a3 onto the smaller trailer? I read your post about loaning him you pintle hitch which is a very admirable thing to do.
Nothing more than my trailer to measure and actually see, a spare to take with him, my crane to unload it if he brings it back on his trailer and a bit of humor.

LOL, no worries! I was just on the horn with him and between what he has and what I have, he will be making his recovery soon. Thankfully, when Lavarok and I picked up our trailers, no GL folks were on scene. The contractors at Blount Island Marine Corp depot loaded my trailers onto my car trailer and all I had to do was secure them. They are a very professional group of men.

RLH

I want to say thanks for the info and advice everyone has thrown out there.
There is a great amount of knowledge and experience on this forum :smile:

I am really glad I found this place.

:idea: I need to see who directed to this place from another forum and thank them too.

You guys are great, stay safe

RLH