• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A3 tire/wheel question.

ih8olg

Hey guys, new to the board and just picked up a M101A3 of GL for $170. It is in great shape and I think I really got a steal on it. I plan on converting the trailer to a camper. I think I am going to pull off the bed and try to sell it or scrap it and build the camper directly off the frame. My first dilemma (and probably not my last) is the current height of the trailer. Right now, I am using a Ford Ranger 4x4 to pull the trailer and the truck has 215/75R15 tires while the trailer has the 37x12.5OR16.5 hmmwv tires. I want the frame to sit lower so I was thinking about getting smaller rims and wheels. But if I get a smaller rim, will the parking/surge breaks still work? Or should I keep the rim and get a smaller tire? Any comment would be much appreciated.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
you can use civi 8 bolt 16" wheel off a Dodge or Chevy same bolt pattern as the M101A2 trailers had.m101a2.jpg

3dAngus

Parking and surge brakes will not be affected in any way. The GMC 2500 also has the 8 lug wheels and you can buy some on craigslist regularly with 17" tires that look pretty darn nice. I bought 4 myself and interchange them all the time. Seems, for some reason, whenever I sell a HMMWV tire capable vehicle, people always want me to remove the GMC wheels and go back to the HMMWV ones.

Can you blame them?

I hope your ranger is a six cylinder, else, if you load it down with camping equipment, you could blow a head gasket on long trips with hills. A 4 cylinder just won't do. You'll burn it up.

John Galt

I bought some 16" Chevy 8 lug wheels with 29.5" Dextero tires (from walmart). Lowered the trailer about 3.5" and although I removed the brakes, they wheels did fit before doing so.

My previous truck was a 4.0 Ranger 4x4 with tow package. I would have pulled a 101 with it. Would consider an axle swap and electric brakes or make sure your surge brakes are working if you plan to load it up. You can get close to the Ranger weight with a loaded 101.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put stock CUCV rolling stock on my M101A3 and it makes a great trailer even more useful. I would give quite a bit of thought and research on your build before removing the bed. Also, post up a pic of your trailer. Many trailers are just a conglomeration of parts made to look like a trailer (trailer salad). Would be helpful to see exactly what you have.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks