• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A3 VIN Number

Does anyone know the proper setup for VIN numbers on these trailers. My Data Plate is pretty bad and it appears to be a 4 digit number then USMC and then the 6 digit trailer number that's stenciled on the trailer. I just wanted to check and see if anyone knew for sure before I put in for the SF-97.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why would you need an SF-97 for a trailer? Over here we just go get the thing weighed and take the ticket into the BMV and get plates. Do you have to have a title in WV?

Because in WV the DMV is OCD about having plates and titles. They don't even like to title trailers as homebuilt any more and want you to have receipts for where you got the materials to make it. I talked to the DMV about it and I have to have a "military title" in their words before I'm allowed to register it and get plates. And it took me 15 minutes to get ahold of someone that knew what they were talking about to boot.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy cow that is a pain in the posterior. Do you have the GL invoice? If so, you could probably use the info from it to get the SF-97 and if you get it and it doesn't match watch they think is on the trailer get a new data plate made matching what you have.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL would not provide me with an SF97 for my A3 trailers. They cited FL law stating that trailers under 2000# do not require one. Then again, it's a trailer, you could lawfully register it in ME and 5 yrs costs you $90.

Nonotagain

Kenny,

GL is registered as a used vehicle dealer in FL, and as such, they should be required to issue a title.

The issue with the Maine registration is that they won't register newer than a 1995 or 1996 trailer without title.

It's time to again start pushing GL to issue a title like any other dealer no matter what state the sale takes place in.

There's no reason that they should not be able to issue a temporary registration when you pick up any vehicle purchased from them other than scrap sales.

My .02 worth.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
That is how I registered mine is just like you have. I registered mine in GA although I have registered an a1 and a2 in WV before.

They didn't seem so strict then but then again, it's been awhile.

So how is Muriales'? I loved their food!

They aren't strict at all as long as you have a title or as they said the military title they just don't like to work around paperwork. There was a problem for a while with guys stealing old cars and trucks that were sitting on peoples property and registering them and then selling them so they've closed a bunch of loopholes. It's still around and still has great food.

ncbenson

Where is the VIN

Why would you need an SF-97 for a trailer? Over here we just go get the thing weighed and take the ticket into the BMV and get plates. Do you have to have a title in WV?
I just purchased four of these M101A3 trailers and have converted them to dump trailers. I want to sell three of them but I purchased them from Gov Liquidation and I live in and picked them up in California. The GL office is in Arizona. They do not come with titles, you must pay an additional $60 each for the title. When requesting a title and paying the $60 each, they kicked it back as I did not state the VIN. I cannot read the data plates and the GL just sent me an email saying that they cannot process the titles until I supply a VIN which in their words "can be found on the ROUND METAL object used to attach to the pulling vehicle". So what the **** does that mean? Can anyone tell me where the VIN can found and approximately what it might look like? I realize that they should have a record of it and they should provide a titile, but they don't, so I need to know where to find that VIN and what I am looking for. Any ideas? Thanks

ElCapitan Dave

Does anyone know the proper setup for VIN numbers on these trailers. My Data Plate is pretty bad and it appears to be a 4 digit number then USMC and then the 6 digit trailer number that's stenciled on the trailer. I just wanted to check and see if anyone knew for sure before I put in for the SF-97.
This checks with the three trailers I got from the Marine Annex at Yermo Ca. All the data plates were in poor shape but readable in my case; but I did not bid if the photos showed them missing. Since I own 8 of these trailers, I have seen the VIN (serial number) information format varies widely. The Army M101A2 I got from Barstow, Ca had a very long # (17 Characters) that started with USARMY. then what appeared to be a DTID #, then the letters SN followed by three numbers. The Air Force M101A3 had a variation on this theme: which included the Air Force Registration # at the end: (i.e.: 94K1234). An early M101A1 only had a three digit serial number. Make sure what you put on the GL request form is what is readable on the Data Plate. If the GL invoice shows something different, include a note and data plate photo in the remarks section of the SF-97 request form. The important thing is that your Title and then registration will check with the physical information that the LEO reads on the Data Plate if ever stopped, etc. Hope this helps.

cpf240

I recently picked up an M101A3 from Camp Pendleton in SoCal. It used to belong to the USMC. The data plate on the bed is pretty much scrubbed clean. The data plate on the trailer frame is faded, but the VIN and manufacture date sections were stamped, and so were readable.

For my SF97, I listed it as an M116A3, which is what the frame is, and what the data plate that has the VIN says. The VIN section of the M116 data plate was stamped "S/N 9999 USMC 999999". The 6 digit number in the VIN is what had been stenciled on the side of the bed, but GL or someone went happy with the spray paint on *ALL* markings.

So, I put the "9999 USMC 999999" on the SF97 form request. GL accepted it that way, and issued the proper forms to me. CA DMV did the VIN verification, and had no issues with it.

ElCapitan Dave

I just purchased four of these M101A3 trailers and have converted them to dump trailers. I want to sell three of them but I purchased them from Gov Liquidation and I live in and picked them up in California. The GL office is in Arizona. They do not come with titles, you must pay an additional $60 each for the title. When requesting a title and paying the $60 each, they kicked it back as I did not state the VIN. I cannot read the data plates and the GL just sent me an email saying that they cannot process the titles until I supply a VIN which in their words "can be found on the ROUND METAL object used to attach to the pulling vehicle". So what the **** does that mean? Can anyone tell me where the VIN can found and approximately what it might look like? I realize that they should have a record of it and they should provide a titile, but they don't, so I need to know where to find that VIN and what I am looking for. Any ideas? Thanks
If these were some of the hundreds being sold off the Yermo Annex next to Barstow, Ca then all of the recent ones were Marine Corp units. If so see my post above. All the ones I looked at used the stenciled USMC and then the numbers stenciled on the sides and tail gate as part of the " VIN" number. Like others here, The state of Arizona makes it very difficult and expensive (fees for inspecting trailer) if you do not have a title. IE, preventing stolen property from being titled and registered. What I have seen on some of the trailers is the Serial # information stamped by the soldier, Airman, etc in the area at the bottom of the Data Plate. As far as GL's reference to a ROUND METAL object; I am guessing they are refering to the Lunette hitch, since the LEOs will look first at the trailer driver's side frame in back of the hitch for any VIN information. This is where the M101AX trailers have one of the two Data Plates. The other location is on the Driver's side front wall of the trailer box. As far as GL having a record of the VIN, DON'T make that assumption. See my post above. Hope this helps.