• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1022 dolly capacity

NEIOWA

Anyone experimented with or put a real load on a M1022 Dolly? DOD rated at 7.5t load but typical .mil looks overbuilt. Tires are weak link.

This dolly will become frt/rr axle for a full trailer project. I'm thinking going to duals @ all 4 corners. Goal is around 25000lb load.

armytruck63

Is that 7.5 tons the cross-country rating? Maybe you can use the dolly for heavier loads on an inproved road, much like how an M35A2 with duals can handle a five ton load on the highway.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a note, the M35 with singles can handle 5 ton on road also. 9-20 tires are rated 4,000lbs singled. Deuce is 6,000lbs at the rear, leaving 5 tons for load. 11-20 tires are rated 5920lbs.

On the M1022, is it a dual axle or single axle dolly?

NEIOWA

M1022 is the two piece (frt/rear) used to move ISO containers. 11.00x20 tires (singles)

TM only has one rating - 15000lb payload (as for most trailers). Empty weigh is 5580lb.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
5920 x 4 = 23680 - 5580 = 18100 absolute max on four tires. Will the wheels/axle support more? I don't know. ISO containers can generally handle a lot more than 10 tons of cargo. Maybe that is why they are getting rid of the 1022, not enough weight capacity!

rmgill

I looked at the M1022 as an option for a trailer for moving my armored cars. They're REALLY designed for a shelter and NOT for a container of cargo. The M1022A1 has a higher weight capacity (20,000lbs) as do the even bigger non-Mike number typed designs from Wenzlau (like the CLT). But the M1022 slick model is pretty basic. Great if you have a ISO type 14' shelter, not so good if you want to move a loaded 20' or larger ISO container.

Last edited:

NEIOWA

If you're creative can do a lot with the dollys. Used a 5T for a trailer for a 200kw MEP009A genset. 4" square tube welded between the sections. On site can drop the genset oon the ground for operation/maint (OK 4" above ground). Handy no vibration and CHEAP.

Anyone figured out if the M1022 brake/hub/axle components cross over to 5T (overbuilt)? Or all unique parts. I don't think anyone would hesitate to load 2x rated load on a M101 or M105 for road movement. The other mil trailers (including M1022) look to be overbuilt just like the vintage trucks. Tires are certainly the weak spot. That's why I'm thinking dual 5tr wheel/tires or replace with M911 wheel/tires (new wheel centers). But if the axles can't handle the "road load" no point.

ncduece

i pulled this 500 miles. 40 foot container around 15000lbs. you have to lengthen the upper supports to make them work with a standard iso container. almost impossible to back i had trouble with mine tracking straight. make sure you check the air bags you can not get replacements. the brakes work great

Attachments

Last edited:

NEIOWA

i pulled this 500 miles. 40 foot container around 15000lbs. you have to lengthen the upper supports to make them work with a standard iso container. almost impossible to back i had trouble with mine tracking straight. make sure you check the air bags you can not get replacements. the brakes work great
I can't get your photo to open but it looks like you're pulling a high cube container. High cube are 9'6". Std height ISO box is 8'6" which are supposed be what a M1022 is designed for (of any length).

Backing a full trailer is a PITA. I guess farm boys can do so (as grain wagon).

Last edited:

NEIOWA

how far do you needc to lengthen them? im looking at getting 2 sets and plan on using them for 20ft containers

Only need to lengthen if attaching to a highcube container. Sized to fit std height box.

Last edited:

treeguy

NEIOWA, I'm not so sure about your comment. I just picked up an M1022 and have been measuring various containers that I have come accross and they all seem to be the standard ISO's at 8'-6" and my dolly's top pins are 6" too short. I think that they really were designed for the shelters with corner pins. I'm working on lengthing mine but will be keeping the original pin holes in place.

Nridr124, how did you make out with your dolly situation?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks