• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1022 mods

Engine5

Has anyone tried to modify an M1022 dolly lift by welding channel steel as rails to the front and rear sections to make a trailer with lifting capabilities. I am picking one up in 2 weeks and I got it for the tires they are the same size as the 5 ton, and it seems a waste to have the rest of the system just sit.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have three dollys one of each size just waiting for me to come home and make some neat things out of them. I bought them because I think I was the only one bidding on them I could easily triple my money if I just scrapped the steel but I have a welder so that goes out the window as I want to weld on them like a teenage boy wants a cheerleader.

comdiver

How much do thes sell for? The last one that was near me, sold by sealed bid. I was thinling that a platform could be built also. How well do they tow (back up)?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
They tow pretty well I towed them all home with my suburban. The ones I got were all at minimum bids. One big reason might have been the small one with M151 wheels and the five ton were together and the big one was missing the towbar. I got it home by using the one off of the duece wheeled one I already had and towed the little one home in a string of the M109 behind the dolly with my suburban. The ones with air bags need air in the bags or they whobble like crazy

Engine5

I am glad Im not the only one with a welder, caffine and strange ideas. I got it for $272.00, and its only 60 miles away. I tried to call the GL number to find out what it needs but the number is disconnected. So I drove down to the 102 fighter wing and missed the guy who could give me a pass by 10 mins. I got to see it thru the fence and it has 1 flat that I can see. I dont know if it can be towed without an air supply for the brakes or not. If it does then I will have to tow it with a deuce.