• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1028 backlash problem

marks86

I recently pulled my front carrier to replace the axle seals, after I put it back in I noticed the backlash was an awful lot, So the dial indicator ranged from 14-17 thousands Which I know is too much, The ring gear side has 1 shim and the carrier side has 2 shims, Im assuming it was like that its whole life the truck only has 28,000 miles, So I understand I need to add some shims to the ring gear side but the shims are behind the bearings so my question is do I need to remove the bearing to add a shim, if so how much shim would be appropriate?

Matt Kahle

I just fix a jeep and we had to send it out so the side bearings could be replaced, it's really hard to get them off. well here's something I found online http://www2.dana.com/pdf/AXSM-0053.pdf this survice manual is not the for your differential it's so you get the idea. It's more then adding shims. Is your ring gear worn down? or sound weird when you spin the axle? take some picture.

Matt Kahle

why my goodness we are in the same state well we took it to a place in Ghent. I don't know the name of the place but I will post it latter to night.

dependable

If you think it is all original, unless there is a wear pattern on ring gear indicating a problem, I would leave it be. Gear engagement area should be centered if they are meshing correctly.

Heath_h49008

Get some brake clean and some cheap white shoe polish. (I always hated Prussian Blue in rear ends... too dark to see easily)

Clean and mark the ring and then check the contact pattern. It might feel wrong, but pattern out just fine.

marks86

I made a mistake I have two shims on the Ring side(passenger side) and only one on the opposite side(Drivers side) So what I need to do is remove the one shim and put it in the ring gear side which will make the ring move closer to the pinion, So I will have three shims on the ring gear side and zero on the opposite side,

Im assuming its ok to have 0 shims on one side wont hurt anything?

dependable

Like we said, check pattern before doing anything with shims. It is possible something could be off, but so many of these trucks get 'fixed' by eager owners. Last time I had to mess with carrier setting I was changing gear ratios and adding back the possi. It is likely OK as it is.

Skinny

If you didn't mark which bearing race and shims go on each side then you are pretty much back to square one...take it t a gear shop if you do not have the tools or experience. This can all snowball into more expensive repairs if you don't get it right. I agree that if it truly had .017" of backlash go with it but man that is a lot even for a worn gear set and a front axle wih hubs shouldn't have that much wear and tear on it. Good luck with the repairs!

HillbillyWizard

If you didn't mark which bearing race and shims go on each side then you are pretty much back to square one...take it t a gear shop if you do not have the tools or experience. This can all snowball into more expensive repairs if you don't get it right. I agree that if it truly had .017" of backlash go with it but man that is a lot even for a worn gear set and a front axle wih hubs shouldn't have that much wear and tear on it. Good luck with the repairs!

The above is good advice. The spec on a D60 is about .004 to .009 if I recall. Ring and pinions will wear a pattern into the gears. After that the backlash settings and pattern really should remain the same for proper gear life. A front diff doesn't get much "action" so the gearset might be ok to re-set the shims to bring the set back into spec. It sounds like someone had their hands into it but there are two things to check, preload on the carrier and the backlash and that assumes they didn't mess with the pinion. Normally preload wouldn't change as long as you keep the total thickness of shims on the carrier the same.

As for changing the shims, we have special puller that makes it pretty easy, but a clamshell and press are another method for pulling the bearings. You'll likely need to pull the bearings and press them on a few times to get the backlash correct. If you have more questions I'll do my best to answer.
-HW

acesneights1

When I used to do these I took an old set of bearings and honed them out so they slid on and off easy and used them to set the Pinion depth and get the backlash as close as I could then press on the new bearings and re check. Usually was on the money.
White Grease works too for contact. Don't be too eager to make it "tight" remember metal expands as it gets hot so too little clearance can result in bind and damage. Dana Axles always were a PIA. you are supposed to use a case spreader. That is what the two holes in the diff housing are for. Doing the preload sucks too. I agree. I never liked Dekum blue.

Skinny

I don't know what you guys are complaining about Prussian Blue for...I always enjoy doing gear work so afterwards it looks like I just murdered a smurf.

Yes you can use that as a quote :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks