• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 Banks turbo and GV overdrive install in progress....

jsgmdiesel

Hey guys not finished with my install yet but wanted to post some tips for those doing either of these mods. First off I would not attempt either of these without a lift. Yes it could be done without, but its made the project MUCH easier. Everything came off and bolted together fine with the GV. Installing the shortened driveshaft and finish the wiring tomorrow hopefully. I used three shims in the coupler on the transfer case side and we shortened the driveshaft 12 7/8". The pass. side exh. manifold took some effort but luckily all the bolts came out with no breakage. The back one came out the hardest, we ended up removing that one from underneath. We didn't end up needing the torch for those bolts either, just penetrating oil overnight. I'm also installing an electric fuel pump so we won't have to mess around with clearance or changing the mechanical pump in the future. I haven't decided if I'm going to stick with the stock fuel filter or go with a spin-on. Going to turn up the ip and install new injectors next. We also had an issue with the square headed female pipe plug above the oil filter. The directions state to remove this plug and then install and adapter and hook up the oil line for the turbo. Even when using a the correct snap-on pipe plug socket, the inside of the plug stripped. I ended up taking off the oil pressure sender at the back of the block behind the driver side valve cover and putting in a T hyd coupler and running the oil line to that. So far I've been very impressed with the quality of both products. More pics and tips to come....

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are in the SoCal regions, I can answer that one; depending on what kind of DS you want, ALL new or rebuild yours; aluminum: $500. Regular steel w/your shaft; $325 to $400.

scottladdy

I'd really like to know, after the Banks is in, whether or not there is enough clearance for the Nostalgic Air AC system. Anyone do this combo yet?

jsgmdiesel

I also installed new GPs and new marine injectors from SSDiesel. I also got the special 30mm socket for the injectors, glad I did since it would be very easy for a normal socket to slip and break off the return nipples. Hope to get the turbo, exhaust, block heater, and electric fuel pump down today. Wiring after that.

U1100L

Keeping the 24/12 volt system? I'm about 80% sold on the GV for my M1031 (might be a little tight). The Hybrid system and electronics? Possible reversed polarity, dead front battery, lost ground cable, general reliability..
I'm leaning towards dumping the 24V system when it comes to the electrical.. What are your thoughts?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks