• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 Block Heater in Atlanta GA?

Makincold

So I have the radiator out of my M1028 and while replacing cooling system components it got me wondering while I have the system down do I want to install a block heater?
Will it get cold enough in Atlanta for my 6.2 to NEED a block heater?
Since, relatively speaking, they are "cheap" do I want one in the block while its drained even if I don’t "need" it?
Options and opinions greatly appreciated

1986Blazerk5

I bought one and it was only 22.95 at orielly auto parts. i would add one since it is so easy since you already have the collant out, and if you move or sell it to someone in a colder climite it would be nice to be able to say that it has a block heater.

hfmt93

I just stuck a 20 dollar pan heater to the bottom of my oil pan with rtv. It works great for the mild climate we have here in TN. Got it at Northern Tool

zout

You might as well seeing as you have it wide open and accessible. Part cost is hardly anything and the benifits are worth it.

You never know around here in Jan/Feb if the temp will drop to freezing for a few nights - worth the gamble.

pgwaldner

I live in Alabama and my 2500HD came with one from the factory. I love it even though i don't "need" it, the heater works almost immediately on those cool mornings. Amazing how much quicker warm ups are.

Heavysteven

I purchased one for my deuce but never installed it. Winters just seem to be mild here. I would only install if you have difficulty starting. I have not so far. Good batteries and my solargizer seem to do the trick for me.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in Denver, it can and does get cold and yeah we get snow as well.

NEVER plugged any of my block heaters in.

NOW if I lived above 10k ft where the temp dropped below zero consistently, I might consider plugging them in.

But in ATLANTA?

If you are having issues starting because of a cooler temp, you have starting issues.

Just my .02

91W350

I agree, all three of mine fired right up down to 5 below zero, looks like a good chance for additional leakage. If your batteries and glow system is good, they are very good at starting cold... 32 is not very cold. Mine did that this morning!

mtjbrown

I agree with last 2 posters. I live near Dalton, Ga. Drove my M1031 daily last winter, never had a problem starting. I don't care for the core plug heaters, just another place to leak.
YMMV,
Mark