• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 build progress

tomcava

Purchased this M1028 with 31k miles the last month. Started a new job so hired a local mechanic with lots of experience with these trucks. Motor is out and new running motor going in this week. Just going to document the build here with photos and comments.
So far I have a new running motor to put in it, NOS HUMVEE seat belts, stencils, Truck-Lite 27450C headlamps, Doghead solenoid, and a set of HUMVEE 37" wheels and tires. Swapped dually hubs on the front and need
Plans are to finish putting the motor in this week...then new interior, dash cap, door panels, seat covers, 6" Skyjacker kit, paint.

Attachments

LT67

Just plan on it costing twice what you originally thought it would be.... ask me how I know that. Lol

tomcava

cucvrus

Do as you wish. But if you are going to just pull an engine from one truck and put in into another I would get that engine tore down to a short block and go over everything. I had a perfectly good running engine in my Easter Find M1008 project and after past experiences I decided to pull the heads and have them checked out at a machine shop. The head gaskets were about rusted thru and both heads had cracks. I also replaced every seal and gasket on the engine. It is much easier now and will be a great improvement to a 30 year old unknown history engine. I am going over an engine now for my decade wrecked project. Same deal. I replaced the head gaskets and had the heads gone over they were fine. Good Luck. Given as advise only. Easier now and costs less at this point. Have a Great Day.

LT67

Do as you wish. But if you are going to just pull an engine from one truck and put in into another I would get that engine tore down to a short block and go over everything. I had a perfectly good running engine in my Easter Find M1008 project and after past experiences I decided to pull the heads and have them checked out at a machine shop. The head gaskets were about rusted thru and both heads had cracks. I also replaced every seal and gasket on the engine. It is much easier now and will be a great improvement to a 30 year old unknown history engine. I am going over an engine now for my decade wrecked project. Same deal. I replaced the head gaskets and had the heads gone over they were fine. Good Luck. Given as advise only. Easier now and costs less at this point. Have a Great Day.
What he said.... and change the harmonic balancer. It's cheap insurance for a 6.2

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto on what Richard said. It's a curse, one thing leads to another. If you doubt that, just read my rebuild thread. My project began as a simple hood replacement in 2010 and quickly spun completely out of control. The only way to insure reliability is to work backwards to Step 1.

cucvrus

New motor is CLEAN
I agree the exterior of the motor looks great but it could be a disaster inside. Also it could NOT be. Now is the time to spend the extra time effort and $$ to do the job right. OR NOT. I have been here at this point many times. It is much easier to change all the gaskets and seals on the floor even. Then when it is under the hood. If you choose to go that way. Send the heads out to a competent machine shop and have them checked for cracks and level. Or NOT. I just wanted to give a little tip. 30 year old seals are 30 year old seals. Head gaskets were made of tin back then. And the acidic antifreeze has had it way with them for all 30 years. Good Luck and have a Great Day.

cucvrus

;-)
Yes we are going through it. This is not my first rodeo ;)
Not the first time I looked at pictures either. I think you have head gaskets confused with valve cover gaskets.;-) Back at you. Unless I have been doing it wrong all these years. Have a Great Day. Its your truck. I was reading the story and examining the pictures. The pictures tell me bend the bend up the fuel delivery lines and change the valve cover gaskets. When you change the head gaskets you don't need to mangle the fuel delivery lines. Its all part of the job. Have a Great Day. Its a simple task.