• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1028 charging issues

bardenk1

i just bought my m1028 last week. and after searching saw nothing really close to whats happening with my truck. when i bought the truck i had put two heavy duty marine grade battery's that i installed in the truck less than a week ago. just this morning i had to jump start the truck which i blamed on the cold. i put jumper cables on the front battery and came back 5 min later and it fired right up. then i really started to get annoyed because it did this to me two more times today. so i went to napa and got a new battery terminal for the front battery which was sorta lose and figured i would brush up all the other terminals while i was at it. still i have nothing. finally tonight i was driving it to get s/o and by the time i made it to her work to pick her up all my running lights headlights and dash lights had almost completely faded away. like i said i checked everything and to me i believe its the alternator. but i have one question this truck is only running on one alternator for whatever reason when i get the alt tested should i buy two alternators or can these trucks run off one?

cliff notes: truck wont start jump start three times lights go dim. think its bad alt. truck only has one should i buy two or can it run off one?

Cucvnut

Which alternator do you have? If your missing the drivers side it charges the front battery. Are the wires still there for the missi.g alt? Was it converted to 12volt?

bardenk1

Which alternator do you have? If your missing the drivers side it charges the front battery. Are the wires still there for the missi.g alt? Was it converted to 12volt?
yes im missing the drivers side alt it appears i still have all the wiring and plugs

mistaken1

Was it converted to 12V?

How are the two batteries wired? Back battery negative post tied to front battery negative post or back battery negative post tied to front battery positive post?

I thought marine batteries were designed for deep cycle use with occasional starting whereas automotive batteries are designed for strictly starting and not deep cycle use.

Have you downloaded the manuals and read them?

What about reading the wiki?

Cucv Wiki - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

bardenk1

Was it converted to 12V?

How are the two batteries wired? Back battery negative post tied to front battery negative post or back battery negative post tied to front battery positive post?

I thought marine batteries were designed for deep cycle use with occasional starting whereas automotive batteries are designed for strictly starting and not deep cycle use.

Have you downloaded the manuals and read them?

What about reading the wiki?

Cucv Wiki - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

its negative to positive negative to positive. its wired for 24 volt i know that. the truck runs off of only one alternator. as for the batterys the were marine grade batterys from walmart they were the best they offered. they are rated for over 875 cca each. the truck was parked on a battery tender when not used by the previous owner so im wondering if he never new the truck was meant to run on 24 volt of what. also for the record when i bought this truck a week ago it started first crank and ran like a top all week it was just the yesterday that it gave me problems and stopped holding a charge. i looked up that alternator and foung the 100 amp verison through autozone. so i guess ill take out the old one tomorrow and get it tested and buy the other one so this doesnt happen anymore. i dd this truck and it needs to be reliable.

Cucvnut

Make sure it has a isolated ground. Sounds like the pervious owner kept the batteries charged anddid not tell you it was missing parts.

mistaken1

The driver's alternator charges the front battery that runs everything in the truck. The passenger side alternator charges the back battery that is only used to make the full 24V for the starter and glow plugs.

Originally both alternators were isolated ground. Technically the drivers side alternator can be a standard grounded case alternator but the passenger side must be isolated ground (or else you will have a dead short in your front battery).

The -20 manual has troubleshooting instructions. Either the previous owner did not know there should be a drivers side alternator or else he removed it because of some serious wiring issues.

Sounds like the truck ran fine until the front battery was over discharged resulting in the in current situation where it will not hold a charge (or their could be some kind of drain in the wiring).

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you truck only has one alternator and wires and "taped" up. It is not stock.

We have now way of knowing how it has been rewired and converted if at all.

Post pictures so we can help.

Has any of the GEN lights been lighting when you start the truck?

Have you downloaded the free technical manuals?

Too many unknowns for us to give you a correct answer.

Maybe the GEN1 alternator is just missing? If indeed the truck is 24v, and is missing GEN1, then of course they battry will go dead and the truck some working as you are depleting the front battery.

Last edited:

MILLMAN37

i just bought my m1028 last week. and after searching saw nothing really close to whats happening with my truck. when i bought the truck i had put two heavy duty marine grade battery's that i installed in the truck less than a week ago. just this morning i had to jump start the truck which i blamed on the cold. i put jumper cables on the front battery and came back 5 min later and it fired right up. then i really started to get annoyed because it did this to me two more times today. so i went to napa and got a new battery terminal for the front battery which was sorta lose and figured i would brush up all the other terminals while i was at it. still i have nothing. finally tonight i was driving it to get s/o and by the time i made it to her work to pick her up all my running lights headlights and dash lights had almost completely faded away. like i said i checked everything and to me i believe its the alternator. but i have one question this truck is only running on one alternator for whatever reason when i get the alt tested should i buy two alternators or can these trucks run off one?

cliff notes: truck wont start jump start three times lights go dim. think its bad alt. truck only has one should i buy two or can it run off one?
I was told by a friend of mine (who's in the army) that if I every had charging issues with my M1028. To first check the bulbs in the gen. dash lights. He said they use those as fuses for the charging system. It's worth a shot!

mistaken1

Lamps are not fuses. They are not designed to open at a specified current value with a specified current interrupting rating.

These Alt 1 and Alt 2 lamps are used to indicate proper functioning (within reason) of the alternators. The lamps come on when the key is in the run position indicating voltage to the alternator exciter. Once the engine is running and the alternators are producing power then the lamps go out.

If a lamp is bad, and that is the only thing wrong with the system then the alternator will not produce power until the lamp has been replaced but they are not fuses.

By the way welcome to the site and you are correct that the lamps should be checked as they are needed to make the charging system function.

From this site:
Alternator and Generator Theory

Dashboard Indicator Light

If you have an alternator and are using the factory style indicator light on your dashboard, it is a pretty helpful thing. It helps kick-start the alternator into working at idle speeds when you first start the car, and it tells you if the alternator is putting out less voltage than the battery has in it, indicating a problem. The light is connected on one side to the field current system inside the alternator and to a switched ignition power source on the other side. When you turn the key on but have not started the car yet, the field acts as a ground and power flows through the light and out to ground - lighting the bulb so you know it works. Once you start the car, the voltage at the field is powered internally by the output of the alternator. If this value is exactly the same as the battery voltage, then you have the exact same voltage on each side of the indicator light and they balance each other out - kind of like a tug of war in reverse. If all goes well, the light never comes on, and you drive happily around knowing all is well with your alternator. If the output of the alternator should drop due to a slipping/broken belt or due to certain kinds of electrical faults inside the alternator itself, there will be less voltage on the field side of the light and more voltage on the switched ignition side of the light. The result is that some amount of electricity will flow through the light and into the field and the light will glow proportional to that voltage difference. This is how a slipping belt or an overloaded alternator will cause the light to glow very dimly, while a full-on failure will cause the light to glow very brightly. Note that if you disconnect (or forget to connect) the wire at the alternator, the light will never come on and the alternator will not charge properly.

The dashboard indicator light circuit also typically has an extra wire with a calibrated resistance in it. This wire is run in parallel to the indicator light and has about a 10ohm resistance. It's purpose is to allow slightly more current to flow to the alternator field current system at initial start-up to make sure the alternator begins producing power as soon as the engine starts. About 1 amp total current is flowing to the field current between the light and the resistance wire, with the resistance wire supplying about 3/4 of an amp. This extra resistance wire does not affect the functionality of the indicator light in any way.

NOTE: I've been informed by my readers that a Radio Shack 10 ohm 10 watt 10% wire wound ceramic resistor (part #271-132) has worked well on their GM vehicles. Use caution if you decide to do custom wiring work with resistors as they can get hot and melt stuff.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dashboard Indicator Light
The dashboard indicator light circuit also typically has an extra wire with a calibrated resistance in it. This wire is run in parallel to the indicator light and has about a 10ohm resistance. It's purpose is to allow slightly more current to flow to the alternator field current system at initial start-up to make sure the alternator begins producing power as soon as the engine starts. About 1 amp total current is flowing to the field current between the light and the resistance wire, with the resistance wire supplying about 3/4 of an amp. This extra resistance wire does not affect the functionality of the indicator light in any way.
Great post. Thanks

However, just to clarify, the CUCV system does not have this "extra wire" in the circuit. Only the bulb. If the bulb isn't functioning, the excitor circuit receives no voltage.