• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 cucv no start glow plug

Thompsona3

Hi I'm new to this site iv used it several times to get information but finally iv come across a problem to were I couldn't find any information on. I'm at a lost I get power to my plugs when my wait light is on but not while cranking. Is this something that will prevent my truck from starting bc it won't start after sitting for two days. In my understanding (which is fairly new to the diesel world) is that the glow plug control module controls the pre crank and post power that is suppose to go to the glow plugs. Any thoughts on if my module is bad and how do I check it? I don't want to spend a bunch of money if this isn't my problem. I'm going to keep researching on this but any information would be helpful thanks.
also it's a 1987 m1028 cucv

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ignition switch controls when power is supplied to the various components when in run and start.

And there is no need for SOS or HELP in your titles unless your life is in danger or you are broken down on the side of the road.

Thompsona3

Ok so do you think it's possible my GP control module is not getting any power? And I can test it by turning the key forward and seeing if I get power into it or out of it?

dmetalmiki

You could look up How to bypass the control module (timer) and have it switch wired in the dash. You could then time it yourself, and keep it hot whilst cranking. As said do some research though, I have my F350 hard wired (NOT bypassed (so I control the activation sequence at the control module which then activates the glow plug relay)) and time the start sequence (and whilst cranking)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you downloaded the free technical manuals? TM 9-2320-289-20 has a step-by-step procedure to test the glow plug system. It helps to find out if all the wiring is working before you start spending money.

Also have you read and watch the Glow Plug Operation thread? It cover show a stock system should work.

Before we can help you troubleshoot we have to know if your wiring has been hacked or it is stock. Are you sure you even have a controller card installed?

How long have you had the truck? Where did you get it? What modifications have been done, etc

Last edited:

Thompsona3

The wireing all looks pretty fine like I said I'm newer in the diesel world I have trouble finding my ways in the tm things so I guess I should keep looking got the truck in michigan it's from Texas nothing seems modified the guy I got it from said he replaced the glow plugs not sure what kind and I'll look into bypassing the module thanks for the help

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should try posting in sentences.

It would help everyone understand you.

It is also a rule.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
something else to look at for next winter is a block heater, try to keep your truck stock , that way the TM's will always be a help to you , if you start messing the wiring up , only you will know what has happened , maybe,