• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 Dana 60 limited slip pictures please

Tanaga

After searching for several hours on here I still can't find a picture of what a Dana 60 limited slip differential looks like. I bought a M1028 last year and I just wanted to confirm that I still have the limited slip because I've read that they often get removed. I don't know enough about the subject to know what to look for. Can someone please post a picture for me or direct me to a thread with pictures?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post pics of yours, and maybe we can help identify what you have.

Are you wondering about your axle housing, or actual differential?

cucvrus

Does your front differential have a 60 embossed on the ear flange of the front differential? And the limited slip will be determined by removing the cover plate and looking inside if it has a clutch pack inside. Check it out and send a few pictures our way. But the big 60 in the casting is a dead giveaway.

Tanaga

First time trying to add pictures. Easy enough. Here's my 1984 M1028 Dana 60 front differential. From the images that Recovery4x4 uploaded I'm guessing that I still have the True Trac limited slip? Would you guys agree?
IMG_1578.JPGIMG_1579.JPG
What is the correct name? True Trac or Trac Loc?

Last edited:

Tanaga

CUCVRUS: Yes it does. I already know it's a Dana 60. I was asking what does the limited slip look like? Thanks!
IMG_1580.jpg

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it still has the unit. It is a Trac Lock made by Spicer. The True Trac is a torque biasing differential made by the folks that make Detroit No-Spins.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you ever want to check for one. Just lock one hub only and then try to turn the front driveshaft by hand. If it rotates, then it's a open diff. If the hub locks and the shaft won't turn then it's a L/S diff.

Skinny

Agreed

It should also have an LSD tag as well but if its not there go to Plan B above. Those tags end up in the trash when a hack does a front oil change.

cucvrus

Those tags end up in the trash when a hack does a front oil change.

Or when you live in the north east and the tag rusts to dust right before the engine oil pan and rear differential cover rust thru. I had a Dana 60 axle that was used thru at the casting a few years back. Rust never rest. I remember when the fill plug had a red plastic designation tag for LSD. Also the filler plug was RED. Have a great day.