• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 disk brake spring?

lolercaust

So iv been dealing with excessive brake drag in the front, not bad enough to not drive it but bad enough for me to take it apart. Its got new pads and rotors but i just want to clarify. on the inner pad there are two springs, the larger of the two is mounted to the pad its self while the smaller one is loose but what spring sits on top and which sits on bottom?

the skull

Can't help with springs. But GM trucks like these are known for
rubber brake line failure. Hit the brake hard, then let go.See if the disc turns.
If not, crack the bleeder. If it turns then, replace the rubber line.
If not, could be the caliper.
Correct me if I'm wrong, open for criticism here.

lolercaust

Thanks but i used my powers of deductive reasoning and figured out the springs. The large one goes on bottom and small one goes on top, at least that's the way i have it on. there's no more drag and the truck drives and stops fine. I all so sanded all the caliper sliding surfaces to a shinny metal and used amsoil synthetic grease on all the moving surfaces. Best grease iv found and its a nice blue color. Put it all together, pumped the brakes to seat the pads and topped off the reservoir. Now the hubs will spin free with a little drag, unlike before.

ehuppert

Realized it's fixed, but.....

Another common issue: When pads are replaced you have to ensure that the pads will slide freely in the grooves(and sliding surfaces clean and greased. Been my experience that low end/cost pads are a little tight while the "1st line"/more expensive pads fit alot better. Gennerally i like to have them a little loose so we use the grinder to massage the pad metal ends. Usually just removing the paint on the pad end surface will do. This is especially important for vehicles that sit as rust will tend to make the pads even tighter in the carrier.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm... I am not aware of TWO springs for the disk pads only one, which goes at the bottom. Do you have a pic of this second spring?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks