• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1028 Dual 28 volt alternators

taylorbsmith

I have searched previous threads and it is not totally clear so I am going to have to ask. I have a M1028 with the dual 28 volt alternators (duvac). I have found that the bottom alternator is bad. Is it possible to do without the bottom alternator since it runs the rear a/c (which is no longer on the truck) and connect both batteries to the top alternator and keep the 24 volt system. Please give me some feed back or possible solutions. Thanks

Keith_J

There WILL be an issue since the truck's hotel loads are handled by the front battery alone. These would be all lights, the blower fan and the few sensors. The issue will be the front battery being discharged while the rear battery is overcharged.

Now if you ran the 12 volt loads off a 28 to 14 volt converter that can swing 40 amperes, you will be fine to go without the Duvac unit and both alternators.

I would recommend fixing the issue, the Leece Neeville alternators can be rebuilt and parts are available.

lavarok

You should be fine with just the 24v TOP alternator and everything should work as long as your duvac is working.

Edit :

** You should not have to rewire anything ** Just remove the bottom alt and wires for bottom alt. If your duvac is working, it will do what is needed to cover both the 12v and 24v systems. However, sooner or later the DUVAC will fail. So if your not using 24v consider removing both 24v alts and converting the truck to 12v.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks