• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 from Hell finally home!

JohnFire

I too have looked at the dakota gauge setup but the $600 price tag is really keeping me from doing it. plus I would want to add the cruise control on it as well

AJMBLAZER

I like that it has the speedo adjustments built in. That's over $150 to fix it at the transfer case so I figure that makes it a $450 or less gauge cluster. Start pricing gauges and you'll see the Dakota setup gets affordable really quick.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wasn't that truck rolled in Atlanta while on a trailer last year? Guy wanted like 2700$ for it? The silverado cab will probably have air will create issues. Hawthorne tractor in Lake City had a couple nice cabs for sale.

CCATLETT1984

AJMBLAZER said:
I like that it has the speedo adjustments built in. That's over $150 to fix it at the transfer case so I figure that makes it a $450 or less gauge cluster. Start pricing gauges and you'll see the Dakota setup gets affordable really quick.
I got the gearbox to correct mine for $68 including shipping.

AJMBLAZER

Just to update I emailed Dakota Digital and asked some questions about their dash and diesels.

-It can be used with diesels and does have a WAIT TO START light option.
-The diesel tach would require one of two pickups, either from THE alternator or in the bellhousing off of the flywheel. Alternator sounds easiest but then we have two and a 24 volt system...can we work around that?
-GEN 1 GEN 2 lights not sure, sounds like their setup is meant to just read the volts in the system as it's meant for single alternator setups.

mangus580

AJMBLAZER said:
-It can be used with diesels and does have a WAIT TO START light option.
Cool!!

AJMBLAZER said:
-The diesel tach would require one of two pickups, either from THE alternator or in the bellhousing off of the flywheel. Alternator sounds easiest but then we have two and a 24 volt system...can we work around that?
It can run off of ONE of the alternators, and will do exactly what you need.

AJMBLAZER said:
-GEN 1 GEN 2 lights not sure, sounds like their setup is meant to just read the volts in the system as it's meant for single alternator setups.
Maybe they could just make it so it reads the 24v range? The idiot lights arent really needed if you have a good volt meter... It will tell you right away if one quits.

AJMBLAZER

Yeah. I'm just sort of researching it now. Barring some failure of my dash and gauges this is a good ways off...but I like that it fixes the speedo and odo and has all the nice features all in one. This post just got me thinking about it now.

I'll have to ask him about the 24 volt thing. I can't see why it couldn't read it unless their system can't handle the power. Which I doubt. Seems like it should be able to do it.

A nice classic looking dash with the correct gauges would be good but oy, ever tried to find a factory large tach, small fuel gauge, and good working gauges?

JohnFire

I personally am waiting for my speedometer to blow up. When it is cold out it makes a terrible noise and spins way tooo fast ie: saying I am doing 90+ when I might be doing 45-50. Once it warms up it goes back to normal. I have already converted the truck to 12V so that is no biggie to me. Plus I want to tie in their cruise control if I do replace the whole thing.

mangus580

JohnFire said:
I personally am waiting for my speedometer to blow up. When it is cold out it makes a terrible noise and spins way tooo fast ie: saying I am doing 90+ when I might be doing 45-50. Once it warms up it goes back to normal.
Interesting... mine does the same thing!

JohnFire

Sounds like the thing is going to spin out of the dash. I wonder what our problem is with them. Besides the annoying racket it definately adds extra miles. When I first got the 1009 it made a similar noise and the then I had no speedometer till I replaced the gear on the transfer case but it wasn't the cold. It seams odd to me that all it has to do is warm up after about 5-8 miles driving.

AJMBLAZER

The speedo cable needs to be lubed. Pull it out of the gauge and put some good, non-disapating (sp?) lube in (as in not WD-40 etc) down it. If you're lucky it's okay and just slow on lube. Long term it can screw up the cable and the gauge if not lubed.

This happend on my Tracker and it took the cluster with it. Whoops.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks