• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 Gear vendors install help

Drock

According to the instructions from GV you have to (shim the coupler) between the output shaft and the GV unit itself. To measure you put ah straight edge against the back of the adapter and measure how many shims it will take to get 0.0" to 0.35" gap. My shaft would take 1-1/8" !! Am I missing something here? Is my shaft supposed to be out more?...Gear vendors2.jpgGear vendors1.jpg

truck1

What transfer case do you have? The coupler for a NP 208 vs 205 are different. If I recall, the shaft on my install moved in when I separated the stock housing and I had to pull it back out. That might be your problem. I believe I had to shim 11 thousandths . Ok now I see you have a 208 housing. I think your TC shaft slipped in . Try pulling it out. Your gonna love your GV.[thumbzup]

Last edited:

Drock

Well thanks for the responses but as it turns out I didn't comprehend what I was reading in the instructions. You have to put the coupler on ,Then put your straight edge on it to measure. I was measuring without the coupler on. :confused:. I did have ah problem with the top left bolt hole on the adapter not lining up with the hole in the transfer case. I ended up having to ream it out to make it fit. Also in my haste to get it on before the gasket sealer dried I used the original bolts rather then the new ones GV gives you. SOO tomorrow I'll swap those out, and then start the worst part for me, WIRING!!:drool:

GPrez

I hate wiring also, but it's fairly simple. As truck1 said you will love it when you get done. It makes these trucks a highway rider, but also retains the stock drivetrain we love.

Drock

Well I think I got the wiring done today. I'll know for sure once I have ah drive shaft made and I can drive it.

Drock

I bought it new from GV ,about $3200.00 so far. I'm having an aluminum driveshaft made for around $350.00. From what I understand these new ones are stronger and have better electronics then the previous ones

Drock

Well I've bin locked out of this site for the past week after getting ah new router , but charter just left and here I am again[thumbzup]. Got my new aluminum drive shaft installed the other day and have put about 350 miles on the truck sense. Works really good ! although I had one problem with trans fluid spraying on the underside of the cab. Turns out there's ah breather fitting NOT listed in the instructions ,that needed to be installed on top of the adapter housing and plumed with ah rubber hose and one way valve. When I called GV to ask what this brass fitting was for in my kit, they were lost? Eventually I got ah guy on the phone that went and looked for himself and found the problem. According to him they don't do many 208 transfer case applications any more so they were all stumped. So I fixed that last night, and now all I have left to do is the wiring for the 4X4 lockout switch.

Drock

Gear vendors5.jpgFinally got ah pic of the new 4" aluminum driveshaft. I got ah pretty good price on it ,$366.00 from driveline service of atlantahttp://www.drivelineserviceofatlanta.com/

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks