• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 in a refer... finally here!

Melvinitis

Some know the saga better than others. I bought a GL truck at Fort Bragg. I was already to get it, but the timing of the EUC coming back conflicted with my work. So CGarbee got it from Bragg for me back in late Feb. Then CitizenSoldier and other were going to bring it back from Raleigh for me... then bad weather hit and they were unable to get it...

That was the start, four scheduled pickups latter, a refer van (semi trailer with a refrigerator) finally got it on Tuesday, problem is CGarbee and the driver and not exactly spring chickens or likely to pass an APFT weight screening, so getting in and out of the cab Dukes of Hazard style must have been a sight to see!

Today it arrived in Wisconsin and I was there to steer it off the truck.

CitizenSoldier... only fluids missing were engine oil, coolant and fuel. I got it running for about 15-20 seconds, then it cut. I think I need to get more fuel, I put only 2.5 gallons in. I should have it running next week.

No real rust... some spots in areas but nothing that will need more than sandpaper and some paint. The windshield has a straight crack the full height of the window about 6 inches in from the drivers door. It was glued... not sure about that.

Now the photos... very funny.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would have been funny if the driver dropped the back down to about no degrees for ya!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very COOL way to transport a truck. Looks real nice. Hmm, that's one way to AC a CUCV!:wink:

Melvinitis

Trailer went down with... what else... cheese, came back with a 20 year old Chevy and a $40,000 playground set. He decided to not run the refer ont he way back... guess he figures the fuel prices are to high to pull a prank. By the way, the photo of the guy is the dispatcher with the sadistic humor of sending his biggest driver to load a pickup in a van.

Engine seemed to run just fine, turned just fine as well. The oil of course fills from the top and the coolant circulates preaty fast, plus most of the coolant stayed in the engine, I think they only suck out the radiator and the resevour.

I do have a question, when I am waiting, the wait light only went out one time. Also the four circles on the left never go out, the 4x4 generator lights... etc... thoughts?

Melvinitis

Oh, no damage to the truck or the trailer. Secure... well it is a very heavy truck that was put in gear and the parking brake applied. They kinda wedged some pallets... but really it was simplly a matter of Issac Newton and his law of gravety.

I live out in Waukesha County, 94 and 67. We need to get a group together to run the forest. Not sure if you saw maddawg's list of 101 places to off road.

I have been up to The Pipeline up in Nicolet. Not in my CUCV, but with my dad in his Xterra. It was pretty fun.
That would be cool to get a little group of Steelsoldiers from WI, the U.P. and Minnesota up to the Pipeline for a run.

Melvinitis

Snow coming this weekend... so everything will be white soon, and no I am not kidding. I know some of the boys from the great white north submited photos last weekend of the 12 inches they got, well we are suppose to get a trace this weekend.

I am kicking around what to do with the dash... I am likly going to re do the seats with OD canvas... so what do I do with the dash? There is only one small crack right above the steering wheel, but some of the speaker holes are not so great either. I do plan on putting in a radio, so nice speaker holes would be nice.

Melvinitis

Replacement dashes, from where? I likly will be going to the dealer anyway, I want to replace the ignition, it is real hard to turn as it is and the wings thing falls off. So I have about four reasons to replace the ignition, how much are they by the way?

AJMBLAZER

It's been "covered" many times on here. I couldn't recommend a vendor personally as Big Ugly's isn't too badly cracked and well...it fits with the truck's character as it is.

First off go visit www.lmctruck.com and order a catalog.