• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1028 installed auxiliary fuel tank... now truck wont start

Shane M

Hey everyone,
Back in December I came home on leave and installed an auxiliary fuel tank in my m1028. It seems that immediately after installing it, it wouldn't start. Unfortunately since I wasn't able to get it to start I obviously wasn't able to drive it back to NC. SO I bought a flight. Well, I'm back home and still between my brother and I and a few friends we cant figure it out. SO here's my question to you guys. Does anyone know what the deal could be? Does anyone live in central MA (Worcester area) that would be willing to help a guy out? I'm willing to throw some cash your way or beer or whatever. This was my gift to myself when I go back from afghanistan. If anyone is willing, if you could PM me. Any and all help/ info is appreciated.

Thanks alot,

Shane

MarcusOReallyus

Hi, Shane. First off, thanks for your service! :beer:

Next, did you bleed the air out of the system? If you were messing with fuel lines, you probably got at least some air in it. Have you verified that the lift pump is putting out fuel?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really need to know how you plumbed it. Diesels require a return line and if you went through a switching port, need to know which one.

Crash_AF

Yes, check your tank return, but I'll bet your tank select switch is either gummed up between positions or plugged. Try bypassing it with a piece of hose as a temp fix.

Shane M

Thanks for the replies, I bought the tank from a buddy so we didn't know which line was for return and which was for the vent, my brother trued switching them and no luck. I'm sure some one will chew my ass for this but its a gravity feed auxiluary fuel tank. I realize the hazards of setting it up for gravity feed and plan to change it but I'm really focused on just getting her to run again lol. And yes we bled the air out of the lines, I'm going to consult my brothee to see what else he's tried so I can post em in here because he's been trying while I was out of state. Thanks a lot guys

MarcusOReallyus

If your immediate focus is just getting it running, I suggest you just plumb it back to stock, bleed it, and fire it up. Later, when you have the time, put in a pump and work out your kinks. THEN you'll have your aux tank ready to go.

Meanwhile, you'll have a running truck.

Shane M

Hey everyone thanj s for the input, turns out there was a small hole in a fuel line from rubbing against the cab. All fixed now and running great. Just got the rust proof package at ziebart and the under carriage loojs better than new. Thanks again