• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 Rear Axle Seal

L B

Quick question for those that have dealt with it:

Do the rear axle shafts have an inner shaft seal at the differential?

I've looked in the TMs and through this and other forums online but can't find an answer one way or the other.

I'm currently trying to stop gear oil from trashing my rear brakes and am unsure if the gear oil should be making it into the hubs or not. It seems like it shouldn't be since it just washes away bearing grease, but I also can't find any mention of a seal. I do plan on changing the wheel seals on the hubs while I'm at it, but I just replaced these 2 years ago and the spindle looks fine so I'm trying to look for other causes.

Thanks in advance,

-LB

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No sir. Just the bearing seal in the wheel hub/brake drum.

And then the gasket on the axle flange to the hub.

Good luck. Maybe try smoothing the spindle surface with some emery paper?

cucvrus

As a rule I replace the axle drum hub seals every time I have to remove the hub and drum. That brake lining is more expensive then the seals and it assures you have a great new seal. But I do see hubs that have a groove worn into the axle stub. They make a seal saver for the 14 GM cooperate rear. https://www.skf.com/us/products/ind...smission-seals/wear-sleeves/skf-speedi-sleeve
A speedi seal. I don't have the measurements but I am sure this will help. I seen them on older plow trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks