• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 & Rear Hitches

fireman5214

Hello all,

We are looking to put a rear hitch on the back of a former 1985 Chevy M1028. A Draw-Tite representative is asking the following questions. I know it is an 8 foot bed but how do I know if it has a deep drop bumper or not? I did not get to measure and see if the frame is 34 inches wide yet or not.

What is the body style? Does it have the 34" wide frame, the 8" bed, or does it have the deep drop bumper?
There is three different hitch options for the K30 i'm just trying to determine what one fits your vehicle.

Thank-you in advance and I know we need at least a Class 4 hitch to haul an 8.5x16 foot trailer with Polaris Ranger 6x6 in it.

cucvrus

I tried everything I could to install a class 3 receiver on the M1028/M1008 without cutting or modifying any of the stock brackets. I found it near impossible. I just added a hitch to an M1028 I removed from a scrap M1008 and had to cut the lower under brackets on the M1028. I doubt I will ever air lift the truck and it will work just fine. I done it precisely and neatly. The M1008 I removed it from was done by a savage with a cutting torch. Take your time and you can cut and weld the class 3 receiver to the brackets you cut. Or bolt it back on if you think you will need to remove it some day. Be Safe.

MarcusOReallyus

There are a couple of threads around here somewhere that detail how to install a hitch without doing any cutting, so I know it can be done. As I recall, it involved the careful use of some spacers. I'm guessing around 5/16" thick, to clear some rivet heads, or maybe 3/8"? At least one of those threads gave a part number for the hitch he used.

If anybody finds it, let a mod know. I think it should be in the 'Helpful Threads' sticky.

EDIT: This might be the one.

Here's a good write up, but cutting is required.

And another one.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I do like the first one. But then again that is a FAB job not a direct purchase and install. I have FABBED a few that I attached with no modifications. But I don't think it makes it any better. The last 2 in the post I would NOT do. I just spent an entire day a few months back getting one on the M1028 and am happy with the results. The first one you posted looks the best to me. Be Safe Take Care and Thank you for posting the alternative installation options. Good Deal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks